Newell Brands is a leading global consumer goods company with a strong portfolio of well-known brands. Growth is the engine that powers us and, as a $16 billion company formed in April 2016 with the combination of Newell Rubbermaid and Jarden Corporation, we are well positioned to continue to make life better for our consumers, create value for our shareholders, and provide compelling opportunities for our people.
Newell is looking to bolster its internal analytical capabilities. As retail market, consumer behavior, and manufacturing data becomes more attainable and detailed, so does the need to organize, manipulate, and analyze this data. To do so, Newell is interested in hiring candidates well versed in statistical methods and computer science. Common statistical methods are the many forms of regression (OLS, GLMs, and GAMs), decision trees, and various non-parametric methods. Programming is done in R and output is often translated into working tools in Excel. As Newell builds its capabilities, analysts in this role will have the opportunity to shape methodologies, scope, and drive action on identified opportunities.
This role will interact heavily with many other functions, especially marketing and finance. A successful candidate will, along with a strong statistical and programming background, have excellent communication and presentation skills. Candidates who can articulate analysis and methods into common language are strongly preferred. Further, candidates who show an interest in the everyday processes that generate data (e.g. interest in the details behind a manufacturing process where changes in yield needs to be estimated), are a good fit for this team, Newell Brands, and are strongly preferred.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Organize and manipulate data files into analysis ready data sets
- Follow methodology and code used for analysis on prior projects and replicate on new projects with similar data structures
- Develop project readouts for internal parties and assist in the development of external customer ready material backed by strong data analysis.
- Observe, inquire, and develop new methodologies/code for upcoming projects and expanding prior projects
- Observe, inquire, and suggest new business opportunities strongly supported by data analysis
- Observe, inquire, and suggest new data streams (or adjustments to current data streams) for improving and expanding data analysis and business opportunities.
- 2+ years of experience with statistical methods and theory such as decision theory, probability theory, and parameter estimation
- 2+ years of experience with conducting statistical analysis in R or SAS
- 1+ years of experience working with Excel functions such as vlookups, match, pivot tables, formatting, etc.
- 1+ years of communicating statistical results and developing statistical/analytical reports
- Bachelors or Graduate Degree in Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics, or related field
Job Locations: applicants may have a choice between our Hoboken NJ, Atlanta GA, and Chicago IL offices.