Full-Time Back-End Developer – Sacramento Kings (Sacramento, CA)
Department: Basketball Operations
Reports To: VP, Strategy & Analytics
The Sacramento Kings seek an experienced Back-End Developer who will contribute to the development of cutting-edge basketball analytics systems. The position will be responsible for supporting the development of a robust basketball information systems infrastructure to power analytics work throughout the organization. The position will require collaboration with the entire analytics group, including the VP of Strategy and Analytics.
- Understand and document existing database structures, format, and limitations, as well as the content of currently used internal and external data feeds, and establish future requirements.
- Develop and maintain conceptual, logical and physical data models.
- Design and manage a new data warehouse capable of supporting the Kings’ reporting and analytics needs.
- Develop and maintain data quality assurance processes to ensure database integrity in the future.
- Conduct ad-hoc database queries and analysis as required.
- Collaborate with members of the Kings analytics group to develop best practices for acquiring, storing, and displaying basketball data.
- Build, maintain, and support end to end data warehousing within the Kings’ analytics group, from raw data through data structures, ETL processes, and data access.
- Recommend new data sources for purchase and/or new techniques to gather data.
- Other related duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, computer engineering, or equivalent professional experience required. Master’s degree a plus.
- 2-5 years of related work experience is required, including demonstrated knowledge about data management best practices, long-term maintainability of code and ability to effectively solve problems pertaining to data infrastructure and integrity.
- Experience with basketball data (PBP, tracking data, Synergy, Second Spectrum) a plus.
- Demonstrated ability to successfully design and execute data warehousing projects required.
- Expertise with SQL and relational databases is required.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services is strongly preferred.
- Experience with ETL scripting, including at least one of Python, R and/or other scripting languages is required.
- Experience processing large amounts of JSON and XML formatted data strongly preferred.
- The ability to organize and manage multi-stage projects while maintaining an acute attention to detail, work independently and under tight deadlines, and relate to and communicate effectively with people of varied backgrounds (programmers, analysts, outside data vendors, other front office members) required.
- Knowledge of basketball analytics, and the NBA more broadly, is a plus.
- Ability to work evening, weekend and holiday hours (as dictated by the basketball calendar) required.
- Willingness and ability to relocate to Sacramento required.
Note: When you apply for this job online, you will be required to answer the following questions:
1. What are your salary requirements?