Part-Time Data Analyst Consultant in Fisheries Management – U.S.
POSITION ANNOUNCEMENT: RODA SEEKS DATA ANALYST CONSULTANT
with expertise in fisheries database development, data analytics, and collaborative research.
The contractor will assist the Responsible Offshore Development Alliance (RODA), which has received funding from the New York State Energy Research and Development Authority (NYSERDA), to build a “Fishery Knowledge Trust” that will synthesize expertise, perspective, and empirical evidence into products that allow the industry to speak in the ecosystem management and science arenas with “one coherent voice” and to evaluate that consensus with verified evidence.
The project consist of two primary objectives:
- Create a fishing industry-owned-and-managed knowledge and database infrastructure
- Apply that infrastructure to evaluate consensus hypotheses with data of the potential impacts of offshore wind energy development on the key socio-ecological dimensions of fisheries from the fishery perspective.
Roles and Responsibilities:
The primary role of this contractor is to support RODA in the development of the Knowledge Trust using skills in database development, spatial analytics, and collaborative research. The contractor will be expected to operate independently, with little administrative support. The contract duration would be 12 months, with RODA providing support for 37 hours per month and associated travel. Necessary office space and equipment will be provided by the contractor, although reasonable exceptions may be considered.
- A strong background and training in fisheries and ecological analysis
- Experience designing and maintaining remote databases
- Experience processing and analyzing spatio-temporal data, including longitudinal data describing dynamics of fisheries, the ocean, and human dimensions.
- Demonstrated capabilities in spatial analyses with R.
- Knowledge and facility with Python, SQL, MySQL, and Amazon Web Service is highly desirable.
- Experience with networking and database security is also valuable.
- The candidate is required to have a strong interest and willingness to work respectfully and productively with fishing industry experts, including commercial fishermen.
Masters or Ph.D. degree is preferred, but candidates with undergraduate degrees who have exceptional backgrounds in ecological analysis, data analytics and a deep interest in collaborative research of the socio-ecology of fisheries systems will be considered.
Specific tasks the candidate will perform:
- Provide technical support for the development of a secure network database to crowd source Fisheries Dependent Data within the Knowledge Trust.
- Assist in the development and execution of systematic approaches to collect and synthesize tacit knowledge of fishing industry experts which will be part of the Knowledge Trust.
- Provide analytical support for the development of spatio-temporal analyses of fisheries and other data contained within and outside the Knowledge Trust in evaluations of hypothesized impacts of wind energy development on the socio-ecological dimensions of fisheries.