Full-Time Data Analyst/R Shiny Programmer for Magid’s “EmotionalDNA™”
Magid’s “EmotionalDNA™” brings quantitatively driven insights into the emotional responses people have to things like television shows and automobiles. We use dimension reduction to provide rich scientific insights into experiences and feelings people have when interacting with cars, television shows and the like. To do this in video entertainment, EmotionalDNA™ simultaneously characterizes the landscape of primetime and SVOD shows and situates shows within that landscape.
The EmotionalDNA™ team provides our customers with insights they can use both to innovate and to address their challenges. When Magid created EmotionalDNA™, we did something nobody thought possible and we are still in beginning stages of developing its full potential. This role reports to senior research staff, who has many years of experience programming (not just in R), doing data analysis and statistics, creating reproducible reporting and collaborating with people who are excited to learn and contribute. The person in this role will provide support for, collaborate with, and be mentored by senior team members.
Ideally, this person is in Los Angeles, though NYC is also an option.
The person in this role will be creating tools that enable researchers (internal and external) to do more and do better with our very rich data sets. She or he will also be learning enough about EmotionalDNA™ to make independent, creative contributions to features, tools, etc.
Initial focus is on working through the backlog of capabilities already identified as important for our Shiny apps, considering constraints and capabilities from the UI, scientific/statistical/data issues and server capabilities.
- Develop new capabilities for our Shiny analytical applications
- Absorb the analytical and/or app development load from senior team members
- Designing and implementing newly identified capabilities for our apps
- Customizing and deploying our apps in new areas of study
- Contributing to our data pipeline architecture
- Supporting research projects and their analyses as needed
- Routine analytical requests
- Custom-requests that are one-off from standard computations
- Create reporting capabilities that enable others to do more, faster
- Deploying reproducible reporting both for EmotionalDNA and for other areas of Magid where it makes sense
- Building tools for less tech-savvy analysts (e.g. Shiny Gadgets)
- Building/maintaining/updating/documenting Magid’s R packages
- Participation in regular code review
- R programming (not just analytical) experience (2+ years)
- R-Shiny app building experience
- Understanding of basic SQL
- Understanding of and comfort with basic statistics
- Visualization experience, preferably with R/ggplot
- Familiarity with messy, human-generated data and the patience to deal with it
- Nice to have: regression, social programming experience (e.g. git), RMarkdown/knitr/reproducible reporting
- Great to have: you’ve written an R package (not necessarily publicly available)
- Bachelor’s degree required; Masters degree in analytical discipline preferred