Full-Time Data Science Summer Internship @ Raleigh, North Carolina, U.S.
Data Science Intern – WWFCO
The NetApp World Wide Field and Customer Operations (WWFCO) team is seeking a talented and motivated individual to act as a Data Science Intern to help us drive better customer outcomes, internal efficiency, and revenue opportunities through leveraging our data assets. The intern will join a data science team tasked with supporting several internal NetApp functions including our Sales, Services, and Support organizations.
The demands on this team are very dynamic and opportunities to make an impact during the internship are plentiful. The intern will partner with team subject matter experts to identify opportunities to better leverage and get insight from functional data.
You’ll have the opportunity to work for a company consistently rated one of the best places to work featuring of both technical and management career development tracks. NetApp’s Summer Intern Program is a 3 month experience that will provide you an opportunity to gain in depth knowledge about NetApp’s business and culture as you enjoy meeting with organizational leaders during lunch, network with your fellow intern colleagues at various social events, and present your hard work to NetApp executives and management.
Employment would begin in the summer of 2020 in our Research Triangle Park office.
- Work with internal stakeholders to deliver high value, actionable business insights
- Work with structured and unstructured data
- Formulate and test hypotheses to evaluate business strategies, quantify impact, and make inferences
- Apply sophisticated analytical techniques
- Apply forecasting methodologies
- Author reports and presentations to communicate your process and results
- Design and implement machine learning workflows
The Insight & Analytics Data Science intern will be required to engage with fellow team members as well as business stakeholders to advance prioritized initiatives. The intern’s role will complement that of existing subject matter experts assigned to functional areas within the WWFCO organization. The Insight & Analytics team receives ongoing requirements from business stakeholders in addition to supporting existing reporting & analytics platforms. The intern will work to improve the quality and value of such deliverables through the application of emerging concepts, tools, or practices in analytics and data science.
- Strong oral and written communication skills are essential
- The ability to work collaboratively in team to meet aggressive goals with high quality standards
- Proven aptitude for learning new technologies
- Creative and analytical approach to problem solving
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Educational and project background in statistics
- Project experience in data analysis, statistical modeling and hypothesis testing
- Experience with forecasting methodologies
- Working knowledge of one or more statistical analysis tools or languages & related libraries/packages: R (preferred), Python (preferred), SPSS, SAS, etc.
- Knowledge and application of concepts important in Machine Learning: e.g., cross-validation, regularization, bootstrapping, etc.
- Experience with one or more business intelligence or data visualization tools (e.g. shiny, plotly, Tableau, PowerBI, Qlikview, etc.)
Other useful skills for this role include:
- Development experience in a general purpose programming language: Python, Java, C++, etc.
- Experience with large data sets and distributed storage and compute tools (e.g. Hadoop)
- Working knowledge of one or more database/SQL languages: Oracle, MS SQL Server, MySQL, MongoDB, etc.
- High level understanding of systems modeling and the software development lifecycle
- Experience using version control as well as supporting tools like Github, the Atlassian tools suite, or Azure DevOps
Responsibility and Interaction:
- Responsible for a mix of structured and unstructured tasks
- Apply attained experiences and knowledge in solving routine to moderately complex problems
- May work with teams across the company in problem solving and design effort
- Interact primarily with direct manager and the technical team on assigned projects.
- General direction is provided on routine work and detailed direction is provided on new projects and assignments. There will be on-going reviews of activities and priorities
Education & Experience
We are seeking candidates that are pursuing a Bachelor’s (rising junior/senior), Master’s or Ph.D. degree in Data Science, Analytics, Statistics, Mathematics, Computer Science or a related degree .
Candidates with different majors will be considered with adequate demonstration of focus in the areas outlined above.