Full-Time Data Visualization Programmer
Location: Downtown Long Beach, CA (remote work is not an option)
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
The salary range for this classification is $4,372 to $9,401 per month.
Link to Apply Online: https://cmsweb.cms.csulb.edu/HLBPRD/cocsu_jobs.html
IMPORTANT: for your consideration, SUBMIT YOUR COVER LETTER, RESUME and LIST OF URLS OR SCREENCAPTURED IMAGES THAT SERVE AS EXAMPLES of your data visualization work along with any explanations you would like to provide IN ONE FILE.
Responsibilities: Under the general direction of the Director, Student Success Dashboard Research Initiatives, the Data Visualization Programmer will:
– Create visualizations of new high impact visual applications to make data actionable and facilitate decision making using PHP
– Integrate User-facing elements developed by frontend developers
– Solve complex performance problems and architectural challenges
– Develop Server-side logic, definition and maintenance of the central database, and ensure high performance and responsiveness to frontend requests.
– Document technical specifications
– Test for application bugs
– Coordinate with designers, data analysts, and programmers
This position requires:
– Experience designing and presenting complex data sets in visually compelling formats, and integrating multiple data sources and databases into one system
– Proficiency with SQL
– Solid understanding of how web applications work including security, session management, and best development practices
– Ability to balance attention to detail with prioritizing work in order to meet deadlines.
– Excellent written and oral communication skills
– Passion for transforming large amount of data into compelling visual stories to facilitate analysis and decision making.
– Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or a related subject or equivalent experience is desired.
– Experience using data visualization libraries (e.g. D3.js, Raphael, Processing.js) is desired
– Experience working with large, multidimensional data sets.
– Proficient understanding of code versioning tools, such as Git
– Knowledge and experience with LAMP development stack
– Experience working with higher ed/education clients and data
– Experience working with BI databases and platforms
– Some educational background that combine design, statistics, and computer science.
– Experience with developing data visualizations for mobile devices (tablets and smartphones)
The CSU Chancellor’s Office, located on the waterfront adjacent to the Aquarium of the Pacific in downtown Long Beach, is the headquarters for the nation’s largest and most diverse system of higher education. The CSU Chancellor’s Office offers a premium benefit package that includes outstanding vacation, health, and dental plans; a fee waiver education program; membership in the California Public Employees Retirement System (PERS); and 14 paid holidays a year. Join our team at the California State University, Office of the Chancellor, and make a difference in providing access to higher education.
The university is an Equal Opportunity Employer and does not discriminate against persons on the basis of race, religion, color, ancestry, age, disability, genetic information, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, medical condition, National origin, sex, sexual orientation, covered veteran status, or any other protected status.
This position requires new hire employment verification to be processed through the EVerify Program administered by the Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (DHSUSCIS)’ in partnership with the Social Security Administration (SSA). If hired, you will be required to furnish proof that you are legally authorized to work in the United States.
The person holding this position is considered a ‘mandated reporter’ under the California Child Abuse and Neglect Reporting Act and is required to comply with the requirements set forth in CSU Executive Order 1083 as a condition of employment.
The Chancellor’s Office policy requires that the successful candidate complete a full background check (including a criminal records check) prior to assuming this position.