Full-Time Financial Controller
Remote work, anywhere in the continental United States, or Boston, MA or Seattle, WA if you prefer an office.
Reporting to the President, the Controller will play a critical role in shaping and building the finance function. This position requires a versatile team player with both operational and analytical skills. The Controller will be responsible for the full month end closing process through financial statement preparation as well as many other aspects of the business. This individual must be comfortable being a hands on contributor.
Principal Duties & Responsibilities:
- Coordinate and manage the month-end close process through financial statement preparation in conjunction with outsourced accounting team
- Responsible for the production of monthly financial report for management and Board of Directors
- Ensure the company is appropriately applying GAAP in its financial records
- Perform/oversee the reconciliation and analysis of various P&L and BS accounts
- Build internal controls and monthly checklist to ensure accuracy and completeness of financial results.
- Drive the financial planning, budgeting, and budget-vs-actual analysis processes.
- Work with a cross-functional team to evaluate, select and transition the company to a best-in-class accounting software package. This will include implementation of base package as well as integrations that will allow the company to automate routine processes efficiently.
- Responsible for invoicing systems and management of subscription database
- Responsible for designing KPI reports that will be implemented in collaboration with other team members.
- Communicate financial metrics and trends across the organization to various business unit leaders.
- Support sales process from order entry through collection. Main focus is on conversion of orders to invoices.
- Play a lead role in managing the year-end audit/tax process and communications with our external auditors.
- Manage Sales & Use Tax and other compliance filings
- Implement and ensure compliance with corporate policies and procedures
- Recruit and manage a small accounting team
- 5 – 10+ years experience working in corporate finance
- Management and team building experience
- BS/BA in Accounting or Finance, CPA Preferred
- Knowledge of software revenue recognition rules and SOP 97-2.
- Demonstrated ability to manage projects and solve problems
- Strong analytical and communication skills
- Ability to work independently as well as identify and implement process improvements
Nice to haves:
- Experience with R or other statistical programming languages for modeling and forecasting
- Management of a 401K plan
- Experience negotiating revenue contracts and providing support to Sales and Business Development
- Manage corporate insurance program
- Debt/Cash management/forecasting
- Legal/Vendor contract negotiation