Full-Time PhD candidate in Data-Driven Maintenance @ Eindhoven, Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
PhD candidate in Data-Driven Maintenance within the Operations, Planning, Accounting and Control (OPAC) Group of the School of Industrial Engineering (Eindhoven University of Technology, TU/e)
The School of Industrial Engineering (IE) at TU/e is one of the longest-established IE Schools in Europe, with a strong presence in the international research and education community, especially in the field of Operations Management and Operations Research. OM and OR are part of the core of the undergraduate IE program. The graduate programs (MSc and PhD) in Operations Management & Logistics attract top-level students from all over the world. Researchers in the school are member of the Beta research school and participate in industrial activities with members of the European Supply Chain Forum and consortia of research projects.
The group Operations, Planning, Accounting and Control (OPAC) conducts research in the area of Operations Management, with specific emphasis on
- Planning and Control in Manufacturing, Services, and Supply Chains;
- Distribution Logistics;
- Maintenance and Reliability;
- Finance and Accounting, oriented towards operational processes.
Research is generally quantitative in nature, while many of the researchers also engage in empirical research. All research is embedded in Beta, the KNAW-recognized research school for Operations Management & Logistics.
Data-Driven Maintenance Optimization
The project aims to develop data-driven methods to predict the failure behavior of high-value assets for taking proactive actions on maintenance and related resource planning. The ultimate goal is to minimize the total cost of ownership while meeting system availability constraints of the assets. Study of the integrated performance of a prediction method for failures and a maintenance optimization model will be of particular interest.
The PhD student is expected to do scientific research in the domain described, write a PhD thesis and publish research results in scientific journals. The research is executed under the supervision of Prof.dr.ir Geert-Jan van Houtum and Dr. Alp Akcay. The candidate also participates in the PhD education program. A small part of the position involves teaching in courses offered by the group.
For the PhD project, applicants should have completed (or be close to completion of) a Master’s degree in operations management, industrial engineering, operations research, econometrics, applied mathematics, statistics or a comparable domain with a solid background in (stochastic) quantitative research methods. Fluency in English is required.
Conditions of employment
- a challenging job in a dynamic and ambitious university;
- a PhD appointment for a period of 4 years with intended starting date as early as possible;
- gross salary is in the range of € 2.173,- – € 2.778,- per month (on a full-time basis), in addition 8% holiday allowance and 8.3% end of year allowance;
- a broad package of fringe benefits (including an excellent technical infrastructure, moving expenses, savings schemes, coverage of costs of publishing the dissertation and excellent sports facilities).
How to ApplyPlease apply at the following link: http://jobs.tue.nl/en/vacancy/phd-candidate-in-datadriven-maintenance-248346.html More information about this position and the research programs should be addressed to: Dr. Alp Akcay, phone +31 40 247 2216, e-mail: [email protected] Information about terms of employment can be obtained from Mr. Kees Deneer, personnel officer ([email protected]), phone: +31 402475204. Further information about Eindhoven University of Technology can be found athttp://www.tue.nl. Application Your application must contain the following documents (all in English):
- Cover letter (1 page max), which includes a motivation of your interest in the vacancy and an explanation of why you are a good fit for the project;
- An extensive curriculum vitae;
- Course list of your Masters and Bachelor programs (including grades);
- Results of a recent English language test, or other evidence of your English language capabilities;
- Results of a GRE/GMAT test if available;
- Name and contact information of two references.