Full-Time Research Fellow in Applied Statistics for Disaster Research
The Research Fellow (post-doctoral level) will join a dynamic, expanding research group that investigates the complex impacts that natural hazards have on society (http://resilience-science.org/). In particular, the selected candidate will develop and test applied statistics and machine learning applications in the field of natural hazards and disaster risk analysis.
The work will involve writing applied statistical code (including machine learning) for collecting and analyzing complex data (e.g. satellite remote-sensing, environmental sensors, etc) to better understand and quantify risk from natural hazards of various kinds, as well as better assess post-disaster impacts.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Conceive, design, prototype and implement solutions to collect and analyze complex data on natural hazards and their impacts on society (no prior knowledge of the disaster risk analysis field required).
- Support the testing and implementation of machine learning algorithms and their integration within the risk analysis framework.
- Create and update code documentation, libraries and advise on best data management practices.
- Mentor junior colleagues, as needed.
Knowledge and Experience Requirements:
- PhD degree in statistics, computer science, quantitative earth or environmental system sciences, or other quantitative field. (Candidates without a PhD may be considered for an alternate position)
- Strong understanding of applied statistics methods, preferably (but not necessarily) applied to earth and environmental systems modeling.
- 3-5 years experience with statistical programming with R or Python.
- Experience with creating structured and shareable code packages a plus (e.g. R packages).
- Knowledge of geostatistics a plus.
Key Competency Requirements:
- Logical thinking and creative problem solving is essential.
- Self-driven, highly motivated, collaborative, with interest to work with other researchers and scientists (team player) to produce high-quality and impactful research.
- Interest in the field of natural hazards and reducing their impacts on society.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.