Full-Time Research Fellow
Institute for Innovation Law
Classification: Level 2 / Class Code 1215 / Non-Exempt / Full-Time / Benefited / Represented Hiring Pay Range: $22.98 per hour (commensurate with qualifications) Posting Date: February 9, 2018
The Institute for Innovation Law at the University of California Hastings College of the Law seeks a Research Fellow to support the Institute’s research and work directly with Professor Robin Feldman. The research work will include statistical analysis, gathering and analyzing of data, and drafting of academic papers. The writing will relate to startups, pharmaceutical antitrust, patent licensing, intellectual property, and regulatory reform.
The ideal applicant will have familiarity with the modern research skills and technical tools needed to conduct novel research.
This is a temporary contract appointment.
Typical duties and responsibilities consist of, but are not limited to, the following:
- Data gathering and data analysis;
- Writing sections of reports and papers;
- Editing papers and corresponding with law reviews;
- Preparing press
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- A Bachelor’s degree, and 0-2 years of experience. Ideal applicants will have the opportunity to influence policy and public discussion through their data analysis and writing.
- Up-to-date college-level or higher statistical analysis coursework required
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES
- Experience with, or ability to learn, databases such as Westlaw and Lexis; as well as data gathering and analysis programs such as Microsoft Excel and Applicants must be comfortable with R, Python, or Stata;
- Experience with, or ability to learn, empirical research protocols;
- Experience with, or ability to learn, the law review submission and editing process, as well as competence in law review blue book citation form;
- Ability to perform exploratory data analysis, statistical testing, or survey analysis, as well as to design academic statistical projects;
- Must have excellent oral and written communication skills, including grammar, spelling and punctuation;
- Must be energetic, articulate, detail-oriented with excellent organizational skills and able to thrive in a fast-paced environment;
- As with many startups, the Institute offices are set up as an open, cooperative workspace, rather than individual offices. The Research Fellow must be comfortable with that working environment.
Health and Welfare Benefits
- Comprehensive medical, dental and vision insurance coverage
- Flexible Spending Accounts for transportation-related, healthcare and dependent care expenses
- Employee Assistance Program
For your Financial Future
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- Legal Insurance
- University of California Retirement Plan (defined benefit)
- Deferred Compensation Plans/Pre-tax Retirement Savings Programs
For your Work/Life Balance
- Fourteen paid holidays per year
- Generous vacation and sick leave
Commuter Benefits Program