Full-Time Senior Data Scientist @ Minneapolis, Minnesota, U.S.
Do you find that you see patterns or opportunities that others don’t see? Do you enjoying asking questions and analyzing data to deepen your knowledge? Do you like to challenge historical assumptions and recommend new ways to drive action based on data driven insights? Do you like to find the best way to tackle a problem and share the approach with others?
General Mills is seeking a Data Scientist to join a new data science team in the Global Business Solutions (shared services organization) that is tasked with collaborating with and enabling existing functional data science and analytics teams. This team also provides data science expertise and services to advance initiatives around demand forecasting, text classification, operational analytics, and machine learning to name just a few. It is also responsible for curating a community of practice to determine the best standards and practices around data science at General Mills.
In this role you will:
- Develop novel ways to help business partners achieve objectives through analysis & modelling
- Think outside the box to identify & test new sources of information that unlock new business value
- Curate and connect external data sets for broad enterprise-wide analytic usage
- Be a storyteller to explain the ‘why & how’ of your data driven recommendations to cross-functional teams
- Engineer features by using your business acumen to bin, aggregate, pivot or encode data for optimal results
- Utilize machine learning to create repeatable, dynamic & scalable models
- Have passion to advocate and educate on the value and importance of data driven decision making & analytical methods
- Identify and develop long-term data science processes, frameworks, tools, and standards
- Be a part of the team, collaborate, ask questions, engage and solicit feedback from other Data Scientists
- Bachelor’s Degree required, Master’s preferred
- Data Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Math, or Statistics preferred
- 2 years’ previous experience, 3+ preferred
- Strong communication & collaboration skills to understand customer needs & deliver solutions in alignment with business needs.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas to a non-technical audience.
- Must have number sense, ability to identify questionable data, dig in & address it
- Using statistical analysis & data mining techniques
- Must have either Python or R proficiency working with DataFrames
- Must have proficiency writing complex SQL queries
- Must have proficiency leveraging Machine Learning to solve problems
- e.g. Clustering, Classification, Neural Networks, Regression
- Ability to incorporate a variety of data sources in an analysis
- HDFS, file, database, JSON, HTML, etc.
- Exemplary organizational skills with attention to detail & accuracy
- Bias for action with ability to deliver outstanding results through task prioritization & time management
- Experience with Big Data technologies a plus
- Hadoop, Hive, or Spark
- Experience with data visualization tools a plus
- Experience with Git repositories & version control a plus
- Experience with deploying and monitoring models a plus