Full-Time Sr. PRedictive Modeler
- Analytically innovative, consultatively work backwards from market needs to design modeling approaches that solve compelling business problems.
- Collaborate with data teams to creatively identify, acquire, cleanse, and structure data sets useful for model development; expertly extract and process data sets from relational databases using SQL and SAS scripts.
- Design modeling samples in light of common sample challenges, such as treatment and selection bias, and build robust predictive models that hold up well on similar and extrapolated populations when implemented into production.
- Translate model predictions into model usage strategies and decision rules that are valued and understood by business executives.
- Monitor and assess production model performance results; translate model performance into business value reads and present value findings to internal and external customers.
- Balance R&D-based innovation and practical insights and improvements with product automation and fast delivery time.
- Bring an open mind to new modeling techniques, research ideas, and translate statistical theory and publications into practical modeling solutions; continually seeking to learn from others and to share your own discoveries and insights for the benefit of others.
Education & Experience
- An advanced degree in statistics or econometrics (with heavy emphasis on stochastic model development and usage)
- 3+ years developing and implementing models in businesses that rely solidly on predictive models within decision work-flow settings; preferred model usages are those used to identify what “treatment” to give to what person or object within a given situation, over a large number of decision occurrences
- Proven experience with multivariate, non-linear modeling
- 3+ years of experience with SAS, R, SPSS, or similar toolsets
- Demonstrable SQL skills
- Strong working knowledge of Unix based SAS programming, including SAS macro language
- Programming experience in R, Java, C++ or related languages a plus
- Insurance experience such as Property and Casualty, Actuary or Underwriting a plus
- Reporting/Data Warehousing experience is a plus
- Deep knowledge in UNIX Korn Shell scripts to automate and optimize SAS code streams is a big plus
- Up to 10%
The Valen Team
Members of the Valen team possess the following attributes of Valen’s core values. If this matches the environment you are looking for, we look forward to hearing from you.
- Market and results focused, taking initiative in an unstructured environment and influencing positive change
- Team-oriented, collaboratively supporting and enabling the success of others
- An effective and direct communicator, challenging ideas while remaining open-minded and valuing diversity of thought
- Willing to give and receive productive feedback and to hold your colleagues (subordinates and superiors alike) accountable
Able to Wow
- Creative and innovative, a true problem-solver, generating new and exciting ideas and high-value solutions
- Focused on exceeding expectations, striving for flawless execution
- An overachiever
- Honest, demonstrating integrity and trust, and assuming positive intent
- Show others respect and always strive to do the right thing
- Enjoy the work you do and always approach it with a positive attitude
- Ready to work hard and play hard
Submit your resume to: [email protected]