Full-Time Statistician at Battelle
Battelle is guided by a founding mission. We invest our knowledge, talents and resources, helping our customers achieve their most important goals. We apply scientific rigor and creativity, succeeding where others may fail and we invest in our communities, making the world better for generations to come. All of us share a common purpose: to solve the greatest challenges of today and tomorrow.
Our 22,000 employees work at the forefront of scientific innovation to tackle critical challenges in security, human health, manufacturing, energy and environmental management. Battelle’s work is grounded in the belief that science, technology and a passion for excellence can make industries more competitive and the world a better place.
We are currently seeking a Statistician. This position located in Columbus, OH.
Our Data Analytics organization has been specializing in providing statistical analysis and informatics solutions in the areas of health, defense, environment, toxicological studies and other research areas.
The primary job responsibilities for the selected candidate will include:
- Organizing and maintaining large datasets and data libraries in a variety of formats for use in statistical analysis.
- Critically evaluating data for quality measures such as completeness, accuracy, and applicability, applying understanding of relevant research area nomenclature
- Choosing and implementing statistically sound analyses on diverse data sources.
- Performing simulation studies and interpreting results.
- Clearly and concisely explaining the results of statistical analyses and simulation studies to team members.
- Interacting with teams of scientists including, but not limited to laboratory scientists, engineers, mathematicians, and computer scientists.
- Proactively managing expectations and meeting deadlines in a fast moving, agile environment.
- Conducting and participating in assigned projects with minimum of supervision and within time and budget constraints.
- Interacting with co-located team members as well as geographically diverse team members on a daily basis.
- Maintaining excellent communication with team members.
THE FOLLOWING REQUIREMENTS MUST BE MET TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Candidates must be either a US Citizen or Permanent Resident to be considered.
- Master’s degree in statistics or a related data analytical field and experience either as an intern, a research assistant, an applied project consultant, or writing a thesis, demonstrating capabilities in statistical analysis and programming.
- Strong course work in statistical theory.
- Course work or experience demonstrating statistical programming and data visualization skills in SAS or R.
- Demonstrated competency in multiple statistical techniques (e.g., time series analysis, generalized linear models, Bayesian methods, spatial statistics, survey statistics).
- Strong aptitude in science and firm understanding of the scientific method to facilitate collaboration with scientists and engineers.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
THE FOLLOWING IS DESIRED, BUT NOT REQUIRED TO BE CONSIDERED FOR THIS POSITION:
- Work experience as a professional statistician.
- Strong desire to work in a multi-disciplinary environment solving problems in a variety of application areas.
- Programming experience in Java, C/C++, Python, or MatLab.
- Experience interacting with data stored in relational databases such as MS Access and SQL Server.
- Experience with Hadoop, MongoDB, or other big data technologies.
- Experience working effectively both individually and as a member of multi-functional, multi-disciplinary teams.
Battelle’s competitive benefits program includes comprehensive medical and dental care, matching 401K, paid time off, flexible spending accounts, disability coverage, and other benefits that help provide financial protection for you and your family.
Battelle is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer and supports diversity in the workplace. Applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or sexual orientation. For more information about our other openings, please visit www.battelle.org/careers