R programmer in transition from the teaching profession
- LinkedIn profile
Transitioning from the teaching profession — offers experience in developing models using Excel 2016, SAS/STAT, JMP Pro, SAS Enterprise Guide, R, and SPSS. Seeking a position in Business Analytics/Business Intelligence. Excellent problem-solver with strong communication, alliance building, and interpersonal skills.
Ph.D., Business Administration, Florida International University, Miami, FL. Focus on research methods and analytics.
MBA, Finance specialization, Nova Southeastern University, Davie, FL (4.0 GPA).
Bachelor of Science in Economics, University of the West Indies, Kingston, Jamaica (Honors).
SE SAS® User Group Workshops, SAS® Enterprise Miner with Applications to Healthcare data, SAS® Macros, November 2007.
Adjunct Faculty – Data Analytics (STEM Programs)
Southern New Hampshire University, NH 2013 — present
- Taught DAT510 Foundations of Data Analytics, QSO500 Business Research in the College of Continuing Education – average class size was 28 students. Tools: Excel BI tools, R, RStudio, and SQL, using Naïve Bayesian Analysis, decision trees, linear, and logistic regression, clustering, association rules (market basket analysis).
- Supervised twenty-eight students in 5-8 group research papers each quarter for three quarters – fields included financial services, human resource management, marketing, software development.
Adjunct Faculty/Faculty Team Lead (Graduate Finance)
Strayer University – Brickell/Doral Campus, Miami, FL 2012 – present
- Taught business, finance and investment courses at the graduate and undergraduate levels using Excel finance and statistics functions.
- Faculty Course Lead for graduate level finance courses effective 1/5/2015-12/31/2015. This role involved the provision of support services to 25 faculty members – identifying and evaluating appropriate teaching resources, problem solving, and information dissemination by way of a weekly newsletter. Prepared reports using filters, Excel Pivot Charts and Pivot Tables.
Freelance Research Analyst 2012 – present
- Advertising campaign impact assessment by source – revenue, costs, number of clients, lifetime value of clients. Used Excel 2016 Pivot tables, Pivot charts features.
- Collaborated with academic researchers to define critical elements for research design, data quality, and execution processes – nursing, public health, psychology, education, and business.
- Preparation of written reports describing analytical processes, coding schemes, documentation.
- Cycle time reduction assignment in a primary healthcare environment. Supported study design Statistical tool: Control charts and t-tests, using Minitab.
- Study of health education: Data cleaning and validation, data analysis using SPSS, wrote methods and findings. Statistical tools: regression analyses, t-tests and factorial analysis.
- Designed programming activities for a new analytics role in the financial services industry, based on the R program modules.
- Provided advice on study design for an education project — developed conceptual and measurement model, analyzed findings and implications using SPSS AMOS to capture latent variables.
- Developed study design for a nutrition education research project — database design and documentation, developed study methodology and relevant syntax, data cleaning and validation, analysis of data. Statistical tools: ANOVA, t-tests, using SPSS.
- Study in Public Health. Extracted subset of NHANES dataset on Patient-Physician communication then converted to SPSS. Software: SPSS, SAS/STAT
Statistical Consultant (Statistical Consulting Unit)
Florida International University, Miami, FL 2008 – 2011
- Client needs assessment for academic research projects, research design, system development, program documentation.
- Assisted academic researchers and graduate students with research design, syntax/code development and documentation, survey instrument development, experimental design, statistical analyses and data interpretation using SAS/STAT, SPSS, JMP Pro, and SAS Enterprise Guide. Clients – biology, public health, nutrition and dietetics, nursing, psychology, and business.
- Compiled reports, charts, and tables based on cluster analysis, GLM, OLS, logistic and partial least squares regression analysis, t-tests, factor analysis, tests of reliability, Structural Equation Modeling to support research studies, using SPSS syntax and equivalent SAS Procedures.
Research Assistant (College of Business Administration)
Florida International University, Miami, FL 2004 – 2007
- SAS Programmer for Assurance of Learning Project – developed code and documentation, questionnaire design, to determine the effectiveness of exams in evaluating student performance for the College of Business Administration.
- Managed item development process, performed tests of reliability, and other validation of the items developed to evaluate student-learning outcomes.
- Developed and delivered a Workshop in Statistics using SAS/STAT for PhD students of Advanced Research Methodology.
Innovative Strategies Limited, Kingston, Jamaica 1993 – 2004
- Client needs assessment and project execution management – financial services, agriculture, tourism, and construction project management.
- Subject Matter Expert in the development of new financial services products. System design and documentation based on the results of market research findings.
- Provided managerial support and consulting services to owners of micro enterprises, social enterprises, agricultural producers, and NGOs under the Caribbean Development Bank’s Small Business Initiative.
Groups & Associations
- American Statistical Association (ASA), The Econometric Society
- English (native), French (ok), Spanish (fluent)