• Comprehensive skills: experimental design, longitudinal studies, observational data, multivariate statistics, missingness and imputation, machine learning, algorithm development, meta-analysis; SAS, R, Matlab
• Diversified application fields: immunology, oncology, genomics, proteomics, infectious diseases, metabolic diseases, biomarker discovery, neuro-degenerative disease, ecology, botany, forestry, environment
• Extensive teaching experience: leader of the statistics curriculum at the UFZ, lecturer for several statistics courses, graduate student supervision
• Substantial publication record: theoretical and applied fields, Editor’s prize for manuscript
• Strong organization and communication abilities: president and co-founder of the Science and Policy Exchange, organization of large conference at the United Nations, fluent in English, French and Spanish
Education (over 160,000$CAN in awards and grants)
McGill University (Canada) 09/2008-08/2012
• Ph.D. in the field of applied statistics GPA: 4.0/4.0 (Alexander Graham Bell Canada Graduate Scholarship, 105,000$; Provost and McGill Fellowships 9,000$)
University of British Columbia (Canada) 09/2007-04/2008
• Graduate studies in Biometrics (Graduate Entrance Award)
University Of Guelph (Canada) 01/2004-01/2006
• Master of Science in Biology GPA: 85/100 (Fonds québécois de recherche sur la nature et les technologies Scholarship, 30,000$; several travel and research awards and grants)
McGill University (Canada) 09/2000-04/2003
• Bachelor in Environmental Sciences GPA: 3.8/4.0 (Great Distinction; Cutler Shield Award; Golden Key International Honour Society; USRA Award 5,000$; Eliza M. Jones Award 1,000$)
Université De Montréal (Canada) 01/1999-04/1999
• Undergraduate studies in Economics
Recent workshops and conferences
• Big Data en santé: Opportunités & défis. May 2016, Montreal (Canada).
• Statistical Methods in Economic Evaluations Workshop. May 2016, Washington (USA).
• 9th Annual Food and Drug Administration/AdvaMed Medical Devices and Diagnostics Statistical Issues Conference. May 2016, Washington (USA)
• Spatial Statistics with INLA Workshop. June 2014, Montpellier (France)
• Introduction to AD Model Builder Workshop. June 2014, Montpellier (France)
• Hierarchical Modelling of Spatial and Temporal Data Workshop. April 2013, Southampton (UK)
• Introduction to Bayesian Statistics Workshop. January 2013, Goettingen (Germany)
Publications (Peer reviewed)
Menzel, A, Hempel, S, Manceur, AM, Götzenberger, L and Moora, M. Rillig, MC, Zobel, M, Ingolf, K. Distribution patterns of arbuscular mycorrhizal and non-mycorrhizal plant species in Germany. In press. Plant Eco. Evo. Syst.
Schmidt, S, Manceur, AM, Seppelt, R. 2016. Uncertainty of Monetary Valued Ecosystem Services – Value Transfer Functions for Global Mapping. PLOS One. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0148524.
Malcharek, MJ (MD), Löffler, S (MD), Schiefer, D, Manceur, AM, Sablotzki, A, Gille, J, Pilge, S, Schneider, G (MD). 2015. Transcranial motor evoked potentials during different anesthesia regimes: desflurane versus propofol – a prospective randomized trial. Clin Neurophysiol. DOI: 10.1016/j.clinph.2014.11.025.
Petr. P, Manceur, AM, Alba, C, McGregor, KF, Pergl, J, Štajerová, K, Chytrý, M, Danihelka, J, Kartesz, J, Klimešová, J, Lučanová, M, Moravcová, M, Nishino, M, Sádlo, J, Suda, J, Tichý, L and Kuehn, I. 2015. Naturalization of central European plants in North America: species traits, habitats, propagule pressure, residence time. Ecology. DOI: 10.1890/14-1005.1.
Gerstner, K, Dormann, CF, Stein, A, Manceur, AM, and Seppelt, R. 2014. Effects of land use on plant diversity – A global meta-analysis. J. App. Ecol. DOI: 10.1111/1365-2664.12329. (Editor’s Price).
Schwarz, N. and Manceur, AM. 2014. Analyzing the Influence of urban forms on surface urban heat islands in Europe. J. Urban Plann. Dev. DOI: 10.1061/(ASCE)UP.1943-5444.0000263.
Seppelt, R, Manceur, AM, Liu, J, Fenichel, EP, and Klotz, S. 2014. Synchronized peak rates of global resource use. Ecol. Society. DOI: 10.5751/ES-07039-190450.
Manceur, AM, and Kuehn I. 2014. Inferring model-based probability of occurrence from preferentially sampled data with uncertain absences using expert knowledge. Meth. Ecol. Evo. DOI: 10.1111/2041-210X.12224.
Beckmann, M, Vaclavik, T, Manceur, AM, Sprotva, L, von Wehrden H, Welk E, and Cord, AF. 2014. glUV: A global UV-B radiation dataset for macroecological studies. Meth. Ecol. Evo. DOI: 10.1111/2041-210X.12168.
Xue, AG, Rowsell, J, Ho, KH, Chen, Y, Chi, DT, Manceur, AM, Zhang, S and Ren, C. 2013. Effect of harvest date on barley grain contamination with Fusarium spp. and deoxynivalenol in Ontario. Phytoprot. 93: 1-7.
Manceur, AM, and Dutilleul, P. 2013. Unbiased modified likelihood ratio tests for simple and double separability of a variance–covariance structure. Stat. Prob. Lett. 83: 631-636.
Manceur, AM, and Dutilleul, P. 2013. Maximum likelihood estimation for the tensor normal distribution: Algorithm, minimum sample size, and empirical bias and dispersion. J. Comp. Appl. Math. 239: 37-49.
Sey, BK, Manceur, AM, Whalen, JK, Gregorich, EG, and Philippe, R. 2010. Root-derived respiration and nitrous oxide production as affected by crop phenology and nitrogen fertilization. Plant and Soil. 326; 369-379.
Sey, BK, Manceur, AM, Whalen, JK, Gregorich, EG, and Philippe, R. 2008. Small-scale heterogeneity in carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide and methane from aggregates of a cultivated soil. Soil Biol. Biochem. 40: 2468–2473.
Manceur, AM, Beaulieu, J, Han, L and Dutilleul, P. 2012. A multi-dimensional statistical model for wood data analysis, with density estimated from CT scanning data as an example. Can. J. For. Res. 42: 1038-1049.
Manceur, AM, Thevathassan, NV, Boland, GJ, and Gordon, AM. 2009. Dry matter partitions and specific leaf weight of soybean change with tree competition in an intercropping system. Agroforestry Systems. 76: 295-302.
Manceur, AM, Thevathassan, NV, Gordon, AM, and Boland, GJ. 2008. Leaf and root necrosis of soybean are associated with black walnut and Fusarium solani in a tree-based intercrop. Can. J. Plant Path. 30: 294-307.
Paramithiotis, E, Tremblay, P, Manceur, AM, Bark, C. 2016. Identification of biomarkers predictive of early stage tuberculosis infection. TB2016, South Africa.
Manceur, AM, and Kuehn, I. 2014. Preferential sampling and inference from presence-only data. Presentation at the International Statistical Ecology Conference, France.
Manceur, AM, and Dutilleul, P. 2012. A parsimonious multi-dimensional statistical model, with applications in ecology. Poster at the International Statistical Ecology Conference, Norway.
Manceur, AM, and Dutilleul, P. 2010. Estimation par maximum de vraisemblance de structures de variance-covariance séparables en 2D et 3D. Presentation at the Statistical Society of Canada Annual Meeting, Canada.
Manceur, AM, Thevatassan, NV, Gordon, AM, Gillespie, T, and Boland, GJ. 2006. Patches of diseased soybeans are associated with black walnut in a tree-based intercropping system. Pesentation at CONFOR 2006, Canada. (Interview with Radio-Canada)
Manceur, AM, Thevatassan, NV, Gordon, AM, Gillespie, T, and Boland, GJ. 2005. Juglone, an allelopathic compound produced by Juglans nigra L. (black walnut), might predispose soybean plants (Glycine max L.) to infection by Fusarium solani. Presentation at Joint APS and CPS Meeting, Canada. (Price for best oral presentation)
Statistician, Private Consultant (Montreal) 07/2016-…
• Various analyses: spatial statistics for marketing, academic manuscripts (UFZ , McGill and Wageningen universities)
Biostatistician, Caprion Biosciences (Montreal) 09/2014-06/2016
• Coordination of several projects in an independent and proactive manner: experimental design, power calculation, analysis, results presentation and explanation
• Diversified statistical analyses in a controlled environment following statistical analysis plan; quality control and code review
• Research and development: clinical algorithms in the fields of infectious and metabolic disease; experimental condition optimization; pharmoeconomic modelling of proteomic diagnostic product
• Innovated multivariate optimism reduction methods; established database and data custody mechanisms; improved visualization and figure generation; pioneered workflow to combine data from various platforms
• Frequent presentations and communications in rapidly evolving environment ; contributed to grant writing, publications and intellectual property application
Statistician, Helmholtz UFZ (Germany) 10/2012-06/2014
• Research on statistical analysis and modelling, especially Bayesian estimation and spatio-temporal data; solutions for estimation when using biased data
• Extensive work with R, big data, cluster computer, database management; collaboration with several interdisciplinary teams
• Supervision of Ph.D. students and statistical assistance for post-docs and researchers
• Development and coordination of a statistical education curriculum of five courses
• Private consultations for local biomedical institutions: experimental design, interpretation, visualization
Doctoral research in Applied Statistics, McGill University (Canada) 09/2008-04/2012
• Extensive coding in SAS and Matlab “Separable variance-covariance structure: Estimation, testing, and environmental application”; maximum likelihood estimation of the parameters of the tensor normal distribution model; generated algorithms; extensive simulation work to study convergence, bias, and variance
• R package: https://cran.r-project.org/web/packages/sEparaTe/index.html
• Offered private consultations for the Government of Canada and industry
Technician, AAFC, Government of Canada (Canada) 02/2006-06/2006
• Designed and completed both laboratory and field experiments; performed statistical analysis (mixed linear models), prepared manuscripts and reports
Leadership and Teaching Positions
President, Science and Policy Exchange (Canada) 11/2010-01/2012
• Co-founder, president of the board of director, co-chair of the conference organizing committee; organized conference, led incorporation, fundraised, sought and recruited members; performed successful transition (www.sp-exchange.ca)
Course Lecturer, McGill University (Canada) 09/2011-04/2012
• “Statistical Methods I” taught to large, diversified groups
Teaching Assistant, McGill University (Canada) and University of Guelph (Canada) 01/2003-04/2012 • “Spatio-Temporal Statistics”, “Experimental Design”; Diverse biology courses
Intern, Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (Italy) 08/2006-02/2007
• Funding from the Department of Foreign Trades and International Affairs (Government of Canada) through a Young Professional International grant (15,000$)
• Assisted the organization of the GFAR 2006 Triennial Conference (India), a high profile event
Project Manager, Alcadia De San Ramon (Nicaragua) 05/2003-08/2003
• Worked at the community level, capacity and school building
Research Assistant, McGill University (Canada) 04/2003-04/2007 •
Field and laboratory research assistant
• Designed and completed experiments, supervised other assistants, prepared data for analysis
- English and French, German (A2), Spanish