Full-Time Data Engineer
Before the dawn of everything internet, insurance was intimate and personal. You walked down the street to chat with your broker and the risk to your business, your livelihood, was covered with a handshake. Today is different. The average insurance policy for a mom+pop store’s trades through a dozen different hands and traverses a maze of systems and processes. Few are accountable and fewer know the whole story.
This is just a taste of the type of big problem we want you to solve. We seek a Data Engineer to help drive a new digital product innovation team on a mission to bring a new type of interaction to a market once exclusively driven by in-person relationships.
As one of the founding members of a small, multi-disciplinary team of technologists, designers, and product managers, you’ll have the freedom to make key product decisions without much oversight, and the tools and resources to build and ship ideas quickly. You’ll be a part of a startup-like environment in a company with thousands of existing customers.
Who You Are:
- You are excited to bring our company to the bleeding edge by constantly pushing technology boundaries.
- You were brought up using SQL, but understand how much better NoSQL is
- Metadata, Metadata, Metadata
- You strive to solve everything in the Cloud
- You understand why batching is needed in streaming applications
- You have experience with relational databases such as PostgreSQL, Oracle or SQL Server, and maybe even Hadoop, Hive, Spark or Redshift
What You’ll Own:
- Our cloud-based data and analytics system, “Hercules”
- The blueprints for solving some of today’s hardest data problems
- Manage the entire lifecycle of data projects from strategic planning to tactical activities (data collection, cleanup, analysis, model implementation)
- Sourcing new data for a firm that rarely scrapes, pulls, or pushes
- Coordinate and build strong working relations with various internal stakeholder groups, including IT, Engineering, and Legal
Skillset (hopefully many if not all of):
- Data Architecture and Management (PostgreSQL, Hadoop, Oracle, Hive, Spark, Redshift and/or SQL Server)
- AWS Cloud Infrastructure
- Metadata Management
- Expert Level Programing(Java, Python, Scala, etc.)
- Degree or Certification in Computer Science