Full-Time Data Manager @ Los Angeles, California, U.S.
Virtual Pediatric Systems, LLC (“VPS”), a leading healthcare technology firm based in Los Angeles, is seeking a full-time Data Manager. This individual will be responsible for coordinating all aspects of data management including data quality control and data reporting services to ensure VPS maintains a high standard of data integrity and is available to drive improvements in pediatric clinical care. In collaboration with clinical members of the VPS Quality Team, the Data Manager will continually improve the data validation process to reduce errant data in the VPS database. They will work with users of VPS’s data to support optimal use and accurate interpretation of VPS’s data. The Data Manager will supervise the process of VPS report preparation incorporating enhancements into reporting services that allow greater utility of VPS data. The Data Manager will be expected to utilize expertise in project management, data management and interpretation to develop data solutions that assist clinicians, operational leaders and researchers to study, benchmark, and improve standards of care. Through effective leadership and mentorship, they will help VPS embrace data-usage standards currently used in the healthcare industry. This individual will also be responsible for ensuring that all projects are executed in a timely fashion and within budget. It is expected that the Data Manager will develop automated data solutions which will improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the VPS team as a whole. This professional will report directly to VPS’s Director of Analytics while interacting with the entire VPS staff.
COMPANY INFORMATION: VPS is a web-based pediatric critical care network that develops, validates, and reports on quality metrics for more than 135 pediatric intensive care units (PICUs) across North America. The database uses standardized clinical data definitions, data quality control and data analysis. VPS is the largest international data warehouse for critically ill children (over 1 million pediatric ICU cases). The database has been used to publish well over 125 scientific papers in high-impact peer reviewed journals. The database is endorsed by US News and World Report, American Academy of Pediatrics, Society of Critical Care Medicine and the State of California as a quality improvement tool. More details about the Company and database can be found; http://www.myvps.org.
• Generate VPS reports in collaboration with the analytics team and under the supervision of the Director of Analytics.
• Develops VPS quality control processes to monitor data integrity, including verification of data
completeness, logic programming to ensure data accuracy, and validation strategies to prevent data entry errors. Automates quality control processes when possible.
• Conducts validation of all data prior to inclusion in the VPS database. Standardizes and refines the
validation process to improve data integrity. Works with customers to correct errant data and when applicable, provide consultation on strategies to minimize data errors.
participating in the VPS program that are scientifically sound and clinically relevant.
• Leads efforts to develop program report templates with increasing levels of data sophistication to meet progressive customer requirements.
• Assists fellow VPS colleagues to produce a well-formatted, precise product. Maintains an automated
system to generate comparative groups that meet customer needs utilizing available data.
• Ensures that program report production is completed within established timelines.
• Collaborates with fellow VPS team members to ensure effective and efficient project management and customer service. Continually seeks ways to improve individual and department performance to maximize efficiencies with available resources. Communicates recommendations to department leadership and works collaboratively with peers to implement appropriate performance improvement processes, as needed.
• Collaborates with the VPS Engineering Team in the development of databases to support VPS services utilizing accepted standards of data management to ensure uniformity of structure, scalability of the database to meet future growth needs, and usefulness of all collected data.
• Keeps current about the standard data models used in the industry and in collaboration with the engineering team. Incorporates that knowledge into the VPS current data model.
• Acts as a national resource to internal and external customers related to the management of data and
implementation of quality controls to ensure the integrity of data collected to support VPS customers.
Monitors industry trends and provides timely recommendations regarding data management strategies to ensure that VPS services remain innovative and relevant.
• Provides programming support for data abstraction, querying, and manipulation of data from a variety of internal and external data sources for effective analysis. Performs basic statistical analyses for projects and reports, as necessary. Develops automated methods of data acquisition for internal and external data sources to ensure optimal efficiency and data integrity.
• Maintains strict adherence to all rules and regulations, including HIPAA, regarding the confidentiality of all patient information and acts as a resource in the application of these rules in a data management environment. Keeps historical records of changes made to a database so that the parameters of data in the database are clearly defined over time.
• Develops expertise with the VPS database to eventually act as a liaison between the technical and clinical experts within the Company to ensure that the capabilities of the various systems which support quality control for the VPS database meet customer expectations and adhere to national quality control standards.
• Provides direction to application developers regarding quality control and structural requirements to support optimal data integrity and reporting capabilities.
• Supports the VPS research request process providing requested data and advising researchers related to the use of the data for approved studies. Works with the VPS research committee to obtain necessary approvals prior to release of data.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Bachelor’s degree in Information Management, Management Information Systems, health care information or equivalent field required. Master’s Degree preferred but will accept candidate with necessary experience and a demonstrated track record of pursuing relevant ongoing education.
• Three-to-five years of relevant progressive experience, preferably in a health-related field.
• Demonstrated proficiency with data management systems, including development, maintenance, and
analysis. Able to customize systems to meet the needs of end users.
• Expert proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint.
• Programming experience in MS SQL, Postgrsql, or comparable programming SQL dialects.
• Experience using R, SAS or other statistical package is highly desirable.
• Experience in Microsoft Server Management.
• Knowledge of medical terminology, the composition of the electronic medical record and the ability to
retrieve data from complex record systems required.
• Demonstrated effective and professional oral and written communication in English. Ability to develop accurate, professional reports and presentations required.
• Solid project management experience and ability to demonstrate informal leadership competencies are highly desirable.
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a professional environment with the ability to manage
multiple competing projects within established deadlines required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external customers to achieve common goals.
• Familiarity with visualization software, such as Tableau, is a plus but not required.
• Willingness to learn the whole suite of Atlassian project management tools in a relatively short time.
• Also willingness to learn scripting with Python as a longer term goal.