Full-Time Data Scientist
Catapult empowers elite coaches globally with scientifically-validated metrics for the advancement of athlete performance. The company engineers wearable technology that provides objective information behind athlete risk, readiness and return to play. Born out of the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) and a scientific research organization, Catapult now works with over 750 elite teams and institutes around the world and is based in Australia, the US and the UK. Culture is a key part of how we deliver company success and we believe that a set of shared beliefs, values and practices will guide our journey and help us to create a company we love. Our company beliefs include these key commitments:
- We obsess over clients, not competitors.
- We are unreasonably selective about our peers.
- We are a perpetual work in progress.
- We believe in educating our clients, not exploiting them.
- We believe in work plus life, not work versus life.
- We move quickly to innovate our space.
- We expect everyone to make Catapult better every day.
- We believe we are shaping sport.
Catapult is seeking a Leeds-based Data Scientist to create and deliver innovative solutions in how data shapes athlete performance. The role will complement our strong data science skillset in data visualisation, machine learning and applied sport science with a focus on a software engineering background. The role will work closely with the relevant sports scientist who will define the problem and collect the data. Following the initial analyses, the solutions will then be prototyped and tested. Once fully validated, these solutions will be implemented in our real-time firmware or software applications which sit in our technology. Initial analyses and prototyping of solutions may be conducted using R with the final code to be written in C++ or python.
The key responsibilities include:
- As a data scientist, you will help the current team to identify, develop, prototype and validate new client-focused data-driven tools and solutions.
- With your broad skillset, you will facilitate the development of prototypes and their implementation into our technology. You will employ your programming skills to help to translate algorithms implemented in high level, mathematically oriented languages such as R into object oriented C++/Python.
- Background or experience with software engineering.
- Hands-on experience with at least one database querying language like SQL.
- Experience with version control system like GitHub.
- Ability to work well in a small group which is part of a large international team.
- Exceptional problem solver.
- You can spot patterns in the data that others would miss.
- Each data scientist will report to their analytics team leader, through to the Chief Operations Officer (COO).
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Postgraduate degree (Doctorate or Masters) is highly desirable.
- Experience in statistical modelling, including machine learning, with large data sets would be desirable.
- Experience with data visualisation tools like d3.js would be desirable.
- Great communication skills to be able to articulate your findings, or the approach that you used, to both technical and non-technical audiences.
- A love for solving difficult technical challenges.
- Love of a range of sports.
- Clear orderly thinker.
- The desire to directly influence the performance management of elite sports.
- Machine learning experience highly desirable.
- Exceptional problem solver.