Full-Time Environmental Specialist I (Data Analyst) (@ Saint Petersburg)
State of Florida
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission
Fish and Wildlife Research Institute
Sea Turtle Research
This is a term-limited, grant-funded technical position that supports Fish and Wildlife Research Institute scientists within the Sea Turtle Research program. The person selected for this position will provide data management and analytical support for research data on sea turtle distribution and habitat use. This position will work with sea turtle researchers across several research topics performing tasks focused on the entry, maintenance, quality assurance and quality control of research data sets. The person in this position will communicate technical information to colleagues in an effective and professional manner. The specific job duties are as follows:
- Maintain and develop relational databases for research data;
- Manage and design front-end applications for databases;
- Maintain existing and create new data reporting applications;
- Maintain and create code to streamline and automate data management tasks;
- Develop routines to assess data accuracy and perform quality control checks.
In order to be considered, candidates must possess a BA or BS degree in computer science, computer engineering, geographic information systems, informatics, information systems, wildlife or fisheries science or a discipline closely related to the duties and responsibilities of this position.
Knowledge, Skill(s), and Abilities
Successful applicants will demonstrate the following knowledge, skills and abilities:
- Expertise with relational database management systems, especially SQL;
- Experience creating and managing data within relational databases;
- Ability to write transactional queries, stored procedures and functions within a database management system;
- Proficient in one or more scripting languages, especially R and Python;
- Familiarity with programming concepts;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to articulate technical information to colleagues and prepare technical documentation; and
- Strong attention to detail and time management skills.
Preference may be given to candidates demonstrating:
- Knowledge of Microsoft Visual Studio;
- Familiarity with geo spatial data and analysis;
- Background in natural sciences, conservation, or ecology;
- Quantitative analytical skills; and
- Advanced training or coursework in a related discipline.
How to ApplyApplicants are required to submit a complete, up-to-date, State of Florida Employment Application Form electronically in People First (http://peoplefirst.myflorida.com) by the closing date listed. Resumes and supporting documentation may be submitted at the same time you are applying online, faxed, or mailed to People First, but do not replace the requirement for a completed State of Florida Employment Application Form. Applicants are strongly encouraged to submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three professional references electronically, via People First, by the closing date. If you experience technical difficulties during the application process or when attaching documents, call People First staffing at 1-877-562-7287. If unable to attach supporting documents to your application, they may be faxed to the People First Service Center at 1-888-403-2110. Be sure to include the Requisition number for the position to which you are applying on each page of your faxed documents. WHAT IS OPS EMPLOYMENT? Other Personal Services (OPS) employment is a temporary employer/employee relationship used solely for accomplishing short term or intermittent tasks. OPS employees do not fill established positions and may not be assigned the duties of any vacant authorized position. OPS employees are at-will employees and are subject to actions such as pay changes, changes to work assignment, and terminations at the pleasure of the agency head or designee. WHAT BENEFITS ARE APPLICABLE TO OPS EMPLOYEES?
- State of Florida 401(a) FICA Alternative Plan - mandatory
- Workers’ Compensation - mandatory
- Reemployment Assistance (Unemployment Compensation) - mandatory
- Participation in state group insurance (upon meeting eligibility requirements)
- Deferred Compensation - voluntary
- Employee Assistance Program – voluntary
- Any form of paid leave
- Paid holidays
- Participation in the Florida Retirement System
- Reinstatement rights or retention rights