Full-Time Graduate Content Scientist at Sparx
Graduate Content Scientist
(Maths, Statistics and Science)
Location: Sparx Head Office in Exeter.
Term: Full time, Permanent.
Salary: £28k+ dependent on experience (plus generous benefits and relocation package).
Here at Sparx, we’re working flat out to scientifically investigate what it is that makes the best learning experience. By using real-time data to drive an evidence-based approach to education, we’re developing an extraordinary new technology for the classroom that is redefining the limits of what young people can achieve.
Our platform for maths uses custom built content and a powerful, data-driven mobile framework to deliver a tailored set of exercises, games and incentives to the student.
We’re looking for people with a deep passion for education and a belief in the power of technology to improve it. Things move fast at Sparx so we need people who assume excellence is a given and who are ambitious, creative and effortlessly knowledgeable. People who want a challenge; people who want to make a difference.
As a Graduate Content Scientist at Sparx, you’ll be central to the development of the product. You’ll be joining our team of Content Scientists – the subject gurus amongst us – who pride themselves on having overall ownership of the learning experience.
You’ll use your knowledge of mathematics, and insight into the learning process, to help the team develop engaging and radical new ways to teach topics that unlock a whole new world of understanding for students. In a nut shell, you’ll be helping to shape how the next generation learn. At Sparx, you don’t have to choose which part of the scientific process you want to be involved in. You’ll get to plan the research from the start, try it out in the classroom conducting the testing yourself, and you’ll also get to see through the evaluation, reporting your findings and delivering the results. Surrounded by a dynamic, eclectic and inspiring team, you’ll be supporting this process as it continues to evolve, taking on more responsibility as time goes on.
- Support the development of content for the Sparx platform, suggesting new ideas to improve content design and efficiency, lesson flow, rewards and the algorithms that underpin it all.
- Work with the team to find out what’s working (and what’s not) through the analysis of data, observation of school lessons and talking to teachers.
- Assist with quality assurance to ensure the system is performing beautifully and support the development of new tools and procedures to make this job easier in the future.
- Support the team to provide in-lesson support and training for teachers within schools using the Sparx system.
- Work with the wider Sparx team to ensure the product is the best it can be.
- Be a good team player. You’ll have great oversight of what’s going on in the system and in the classroom so you’re best placed to help out if someone asks.
- Be positive and infectiously enthusiastic about the values and vision of Sparx.
You’re knowledgeable and passionate about your subject, we’d expect nothing less. More than that though, you’re insatiably curious, constantly questioning and challenging how things are done. Numbers, and lots of them, don’t bother you so you’ll be confident learning how to use data to prove and disprove the success of the content and structures you’ve helped put together.
At heart, we’re all scientists at Sparx, and you know you are too. You’ll be able to demonstrate a scientific, evidence-based approach and your extraordinary attention to detail, and pride in what we’re creating, means your standards are high. Your logical thinking, combined with your appreciation of what makes a great lesson means you’ll have plenty of suggestions for the team.
Things move quickly at Sparx so you’ll be able to work under pressure without letting your team-working character go out the window. You’ll also be able to get going of your own accord and use your initiative to get stuff done.
We like a good list, so here’s an overview of some of the specific skills and experience we’re looking for:
- Minimum 2:1 in a Maths, Operational Research, Statistics or any relevant science degree and A at A Level Maths.
- Teaching and/or tutoring experience.
- Experience analysing data using VBA, SAS, SPSS, Matlab, R or SQL.
- Ability to use Apple hardware, including Mac laptops and iPads.
- Basic experience with a computer programming language (e.g. C++, Python, Java).
- Highly proficient knowledge of Microsoft Office (includes Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Exchange, and web browser).
- Knowledge of education and school system.
We’re about living life, not putting it on hold. Our generous benefits include substantial holiday leave and the chance to join our share scheme and company pension once you’ve completed your probationary period. We have a range of on-site facilities for all employees to use free of charge. There’s a netball court and a five-a-side football pitch just outside, an on-site gym with classes throughout the day, a running track and pool table, a 2012 Olympic table tennis table and a café serving free, delicious, local, and organic food. On top of this, you’ll be able to see Dartmoor from your office window, and get to the beach in 20 minutes. Plus, we’re constantly organising events and activities to support our charities, and to socialise. Our work is serious but we’re all about having fun while we do it!
To find out more, and to see the other roles we are recruiting for, please visit our website at www.sparx.co.uk.