Full-Time Modelling Analyst
Avantia is a fast-paced, private equity owned business. We provide home insurance directly to online consumers and are the number one brand in complex home insurance in the UK. Our vision is to deliver the world’s most intelligent property insurance. We are making great strides in achieving this by developing a rating engine and machine learning platform that rapidly adapts to new data sources, enabling risk and retail price optimization. We have the richest collection of home insurance claim and quote data in the market and combined with our machine learning algorithms, our performance improves daily, enabling us to put even more blue sky between us and the competition.
As the saying goes, we’re small but perfectly formed, in that we’re a diverse group of industry professionals, technologists, data scientists and customer champions. We each bring our individual expertise, an appetite for innovation and a shared ambition to do something extraordinary. And, although each week brings new challenges, every week we work as a team to meet them. Our newly re-fitted office in South West London aids this, with plenty of break out space to enable teams from across the business to work together and genuinely make a difference to the overall business.
Our values should give you a sense of our culture, these are not just words on walls, they are a genuine reflection of how we strive to operate:
- Adventurous: We think big. We try new things. We are always curious.
- Agile: We change. We innovate. We find a way through.
- Empowered: We trust each other. We work together. We are a small team doing big things.
Interested? Read on to find out more about joining our team….
The Modelling Analyst will report to the Lead Pricing Data Scientist and support the design and build of risk price projects, including rating advancements utilising machine learning techniques. The role resides within the technical pricing and underwriting team and wider commercial team where retail pricing experts, data science, product and marketing sit so you will be surrounded by a range of smart, dedicated people.
We take an open source approach to modelling and deployment so experience with tools such as R or Python will be essential as well as hands on experience extracting and manipulating data using SQL. In a day to day sense your job will be building models required within the technical price calculation. You will be responsible for end-to-end modelling process from data extraction up to the deployment. Most of your time will be spent writing R/Python or SQL code. Working in our team you will become a master of H2O framework which is our current library of choice. Thanks to a unique rating engine and machine learning platform you will be unconstrained to deploy the most cutting-edge algorithms.
To succeed at this role, the ideal applicant will demonstrate the following:
- Hands on experience in using R or Python to build end-to-end modelling pipelines.
- Knowledge and understanding of predictive modelling techniques, such as GLMs, as well as machine learning methods applicable to technical pricing problems.
- Ability to visualise the data and models in a clear and approachable manner, H2O will be a real plus.
- Understanding business aspect of general insurance pricing.
- The ability to build modelling packages/libraries that will be used by other members of the team.
In addition, you will have real confidence in your abilities and methods and be comfortable taking responsibility and accountability in your area of expertise.
- High quality (2:1 or above) numerate degree (mathematics, physics, etc.). Degrees from other disciplines will be considered for those with a passion and demonstrable experience conducting pricing and modelling work.
- Comfortable extracting and manipulating data from a data warehouse using SQL.
- Experience using open source tooling to manipulate data and create predictive models.
We think we have a great company culture and welcome new team members with open arms. We also offer an attractive range of benefits, including:
- Flexible approach to work through our Flexi + benefit. Once you’re established in your role, we are really supportive of you flexing your hours and location, to help keep everything in your life in balance.
- Opportunities to focus on your professional growth, we want you to develop and build your long-term career with us.
- The opportunity to work alongside brilliant people, because this isn’t something that every organisation can offer!
- 25 days’ holiday.
- Life insurance.
- Annual discretionary bonus scheme.
- Discounted home insurance for you, your friends and your family.
- Pension contribution.
- Retail discounts.
- Free fruit and really good coffee.
- In-house wellbeing programme and portal.
Have we captured your imagination? If so, we’d love to hear from you!
Avantia Group does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits. Therefore applications are welcome from anyone who meets the above knowledge, skills and experience criteria and has the right to work in the UK.