Full-Time Post-Doctoral Fellowship in Artificial Intelligence in Clinical Pharmacology
The Pharmacometrics group in the Clinical Pharmacology and Exploratory Development (CPED) Department at Astellas has an immediate opening for a full-time, 1-year (with optional 2nd year) post-doctoral fellow in the application of Artificial Intelligence (AI) in Clinical Pharmacology. This highly motivated, intellectually curious scientist will work in a team environment to explore how AI techniques, such as machine learning and deep learning, can be used to augment decision-making using traditional pharmacometric methods. In this role, you will have the opportunity to learn the drug development process, how modeling and simulation is used to improve decision-making, and work in a highly stimulating and engaging environment with other drug development scientists to help improve the lives of patients.
Astellas is a top 20 global pharmaceutical company located in Northbrook, IL, outside Chicago, and headquartered in Tokyo, Japan. Our therapeutic areas include oncology, immunology, muscle diseases, and regenerative medicine. Our therapeutic modalities include small molecules, large molecules (monoclonal antibodies and derivatives), stem cells, gene therapy, oncolytic virus, adjuvant vector cells, and vaccines. Everyone at Astellas has a responsibility for CHANGING TOMORROW™, for creating a brighter future for patients around the world. From the first moment, Astellas will inspire you to put this ethos into practice – with a positive, agile company culture and with well-defined ethical principles and values and systems.
- Develop an independent research project related to using AI techniques to enhance model-informed drug development. Projects may include, but are not limited to, analysis of next-generation sequencing data, determination of stable dose requirements for new chemical entities, or use of structured machine learning of integrated CDISC datasets for classification of responders and non-responders from clinical studies.
- Interact with core teams and extended teams, as well as at department meetings, leadership team meetings, and regulatory meetings. This will include presentation of proposals and results.
- Work closely with members of the Clinical Pharmacology and Exploratory Development group, which includes clinical pharmacology scientists, translational scientists, biomarker scientists, and pharmacometricians. Will also interact with other functions involved with AI, including commercial, Advanced Analytics and Informatics, and statistics.
- Grow into an industry leader in the application of AI to clinical pharmacology and drug development
Competencies and Qualifications:
- Excellent written and oral skills; be able to explain results to teams with diverse backgrounds and to management teams
- PhD in computer science, mathematics, engineering, physics, pharmacometrics, or similar field, with demonstrated experience in artificial intelligence
- Writing and reading experience with a programming language having supporting AI packages, like Python, R, or Matlab.
- Demonstrated ability to work independently
- Experience with Microsoft Office Products, i.e., Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.
- Experience in working in a team environment is a plus
- Knowledge of the drug development process is a plus
- Understanding of traditional PKPD modeling and simulation methodology a plus
- This is a full-time position that may occasionally require working nights or weekends and will have travel to meetings or conferences.
- American citizenship required
Astellas is an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, ancestry, or national or ethnic origin.