Part-Time Research Worker (Statistics) – Academic
The Institute for Health and Social Science Research at CQ University is conducting an investigation into harm caused by gambling utilising a public health approach, specifically summary health measures. We require statistical programming support to prepare and analyse data from surveys and experiment
We expect that the position may suit a current, or recently graduated, RHD student in biostatistics or applied statistics. We can offer a friendly and goal-oriented collegial working environment, including the opportunity to contribute to academic outputs and to potentially become involved in future research projects.
The appointee will be required to:
• Write high quality and well documented statistical analysis scripts and functions in R to support research projects within the institute
• Conduct statistical analyses of datasets, including scripts for import / pre-processing and presentation of results in graphical or tabular form
• Apply contemporary statistical techniques (e.g. GLM, LME, GAM) to datasets in R
• Undertake other duties as required by the research team through the Project Director
• Additionally, it expected that the appointee will be invited to contribute to academic outputs (e.g. journal articles), with authorship attributed for intellectual contributions.
• Demonstrated ability to implement high quality statistical analyses in R.
• Holding a minimum of an undergraduate degree in statistics, biostatistics, data science, or a related field.
• Ability to document and communicate results in the context of the social sciences
• An ability to communicate effectively, and collaborate effectively in a research team environment
• Holding, or significant progress towards, a research higher degree involving applied statistics or biostatistics
• Some track record in authoring or contributing towards scientific reports (journal articles, conference proceedings) and/or technical/client reports
The appointment is casual contract for an initial period of 12 months. Hours per week will vary with project requirements, and are flexible / negotiable, with an indicative 30-40% full-time equivalent over the term of the contract. The project team is primarily based in Bundaberg, with some team members in Brisbane and Melbourne. The appointee is welcome work remotely, and therefore responses are invited from any location within Australia. An Australian bank account and Australian residency (Australian TFN) are required. The appointment is offered at RW Level 5.1 (with remuneration currently of $38.93/hour AUD, including 25% loading) and is subject to increases based on step increments and the CQU EBA agreed increases.