Full-Time Senior Research Data Analyst @ Washington
- The position supports the NEA’s strategic objective to focus the energy and resources of its 3 million members toward the promotion of public education by providing professional expertise in data coordination and analysis for the Research Department and the Center for Great Public Schools.
Position Summary: The essential functions of this position include conceptualizing and conducting a broad range of data coordination and analysis projects for the Research Department and the other departments in the Center for Great Public Schools. Key responsibilities include ensuring the collection of high-quality data and the transfer of datasets into data warehouses/data marts; designing models and carrying out queries and analysis of data; and developing data-driven reports, publications, graphics, talking points, and presentations accessible to diverse audiences, including NEA and affiliate staff, education professionals and policymakers. Additional responsibilities include collaborating to develop and implement organizational data governance policies, and writing and maintaining technical documentation. To carry out responsibilities, the incumbent uses a personal computer, associated software, and other office technology, and travels occasionally.
- Required Skills
- Minimum Education Requirement: M.A. or Ph.D. in social sciences, applied statistics, data science, or related discipline, including advanced graduate studies in quantitative data analysis, or an equivalent combination of education and experience from which comparable knowledge and skills may be acquired.Minimum Qualifications: Five years of progressively responsible experience in data analysis/science involving the manipulation, combination, and analysis of complex datasets to support data-driven decision making; experience in heading major data coordination and analysis projects; and strong writing and public speaking skills, with proven ability to communicate complex ideas to professional and lay audiences. OTHER REQUIREMENTS: Some travel required (approximately 15-20 overnights per year). Samples of recent work products (e.g. writing, presentation, and research materials) may be required at interview.
- Required Experience
- Selection Criteria: Tier 1 (Essential): Proven training and experience in data analysis/science. Experience building, manipulating, querying, and analyzing large databases. Experience with statistical model building and evaluation, hypothesis testing and experimental design. Experience using statistical and analytic software such as R, Stata, SAS, or SPSS. Proven project management skills and ability to allocate time and resources toward the completion of multiple projects with overlapping timelines. Demonstrated ability to synthesize and interpret data analysis findings for technical and non-technical audiences. Proven oral and written communication skills. Successful references. Tier 2 (Significant): Experience conducting research for an advocacy organization or in a similar environment. Knowledge of business intelligence tools (e.g., Tableau, TIBCO Spotfire, Microsoft Analytics Platform) and programming languages such as Python. Experience with national datasets, particularly those maintained by NCES, Census Bureau, and other federal agencies (e.g., SASS, CCD, ACS, CPS). Experience with predictive modeling and/or survey design and analysis. Substantive background in education, social policy, and/or labor issues. Significant experience collaborating with others for purposes of identifying, defining and solving problems. Tier 3 (Desirable): Experience as an educator. Capacity to work effectively within the context of the NEA, an advocacy organization. Knowledge or experience calculating the cost of projects, delineating the scope of work in contracts for services, and monitoring/evaluating contractor activities and products. Knowledge of the mission and strategic focus of NEA Research and the Center for Great Public Schools.
- Job Location
- Washington, District of Columbia, United States
- Position Type
- 79,898.00 – 131,934.00 USD