Full-Time Statistician to help eliminate hunger by means of better decision making
The Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations based in Rome is seeking a young talented statistician to join the Statistics division to eliminate hunger by means of better decision making through providing quality data and analysis.
We value people with technical skills, in particularly individuals who are able to translate numbers to actions and to make an impact to the world.
In this role, you will be mainly performing research on imputation and various methodologies for the Food Balance Sheet; and overseeing the integration of R packages to the in-house analytical system. At the same time, collaborate with colleagues to produce analysis and recommendations for publication.
The ideal candidate will have the following background and skills:
· A graduate degree in Statistics, Mathematics or Science related discipline with a strong emphasis in quantitative application, experience or knowledge of imputation methodology is a plus.
· 3+ years of professional experience with proven achievements resulting from analysis.
· Extensive and all round knowledge of R, preference will be given to those with experience in package development and maintenance.
· High degree of self-motivation, improvement seeking and able to make proposals.
· Comfortable with data base, and understand of API’s.
· Strong ability to communicate methodology and results.
Nice to have:
· Experience with agriculture or trade statistics.
· Knowledge of agriculture, poverty or rural development.
· Analytical experience with non-standard data format such as satellite image processing, and real time text mining, and ability to work with large data that may not fit in memory.
· Experience with tools for reproducibility (https://github.com/jtleek/rpackages)
· Creative data visualization.
· Machine learning, spatial analysis, NLP, network analysis.