Full-Time Data Scientist @ London
The role: Data Scientist – 45-60k
This role will directly support the Head of Underwriting Insight in the design and implementation of the Group-wide Data and Analytics strategy. We are seeking a high calibre creative thinker who can turn business problems into solutions by applying sophisticated and targeted analytics.
There won’t be an average day in this team as we deal with a changing agenda responding to the needs of the business. The role will involve working with the business units to identify how data and analytics can be used to improve the P&L as well as supporting the wider adoption of analytics in the company. You will be highly visible to senior management including the Chief Underwriting Officer, Chief Financial Officer and the Chief Executive Officer and could be expected to drop everything to answer key questions. You will be asked your opinion routinely and substantial business change will happen as a result of your work.
The successful candidate will be highly driven and excited about developing the analytics agenda in a leading specialist insurer.
Key areas of work:
- Identifying and building POCs on analytical use cases – working with technical and non-technical colleagues as part of the Group Data Strategy
- Implementing an Analytical Operating Model across the business – specifically being an SME and point of contact for the roll out of our R stack (Shiny Server, MS R Server, Package development, In DB analytics)
- Be an subject matter expert and thought leader for “Advanced Analytics” at Hiscox, cutting through the buzz-words and advising key stakeholders on the right path
- Evaluating new technology and start-ups from an analytics point of view
- Be an ambassador for Hiscox in the external data community
What should excite you about the role:
- Leading brand across the insurance space from retail to reinsurance
- Large and diverse datasets from property exposure to marketing / digital data
- Buy-in from the senior management to implement analytics
- A collaborative IT department that is using the latest technology
- Highly visible role with access to the companies leadership
- Opportunities to travel / second to other offices
- Ideally 2yrs Data Scientist experience within business
- Proven experience of building analytics to deliver business value
- A strong understanding of the R language as well as an understanding of the wider eco-system and development patterns
- Intermediate to advanced SQL programming (T-SQL)
- Experience of implementing a data science approach including a working knowledge of machine learning algorithms
- Flexibility to work extended hours to meet deadlines
Desirable Skills / Experience:
- Coding for automation (e.g. Python, C++, C#)
- Data scraping particularly from websites
- Source control (Git)
- Hands on experience in the Insurance Sector, Financial Services or Data-Driven Start-up is desirable but not essential
- Consulting experience
- PhD or Master’s degree in applicable area
We insure the unique and the interesting. And we search for the same when it comes to talented people. Hiscox is full of smart, reliable human beings that look out for customers and each other. We believe in doing the right thing, making good and rebuilding when things go wrong. Everyone is encouraged to think creatively, challenge the status quo and look for solutions.Some people might say insurance is dull, but life at Hiscox is anything but. If that sounds good to you, get in touch.
Scratch beneath the surface and you will find a business that is solid, but slightly contrary. We like to do things differently and constantly seek to evolve. We might have been around for a long time (our roots go back to 1901), but we are young in many ways, ambitious and going places.
As an international specialist insurer we are far removed from the world of mass market insurance products. Instead we are selective and focus on our key areas of expertise and strength – all of which is underpinned by a culture that encourages us to challenge convention and always look for a better way of doing things.