Full-Time Director, Quantitative Analysis
The Los Angeles Angels are seeking a talented individual to lead our Quantitative Analysis group. In this role, you will drive decision-making and make an impact across all facets of baseball operations.
Your work will focus on elevating our use of analytics, predictive modeling, and data visualizations. With your technical ability and problem-solving skills, you will craft stimulating baseball-related research questions and challenge our fundamental understanding of the game. Simultaneously, you will shape a team around you, identifying, recruiting, and developing a group of analysts and data scientists.
- Perform statistical modeling and quantitative analysis to support all aspects of baseball operations
- Direct and develop Quantitative Analysis staff by identifying strong candidates, supervising projects, and providing constructive feedback
- Present analysis through the use of written reports, presentations, and data visualization methods to disseminate insights to coaches and other members of the Baseball Operations staff and aid in decision-making
- Evaluate and lead implementation of advanced technologies
- Contribute to general baseball decision-making and generate ideas for player acquisition, in-game strategy, and roster construction
- Define, prioritize, and direct the research agenda of the QA department
- Identify new techniques, models, and algorithms to solve problems
You should have:
- Advanced degree or equivalent experience in statistics, mathematics, computer science, or a related field
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate complex concepts to colleagues possessing a diverse set of backgrounds and varying experience with quantitative methods
- Understanding of and practical experience with machine learning algorithms as well as classical statistical modeling techniques. Experience with Bayesian statistics and building/evaluating models in Stan is preferred
- Demonstrated ability in problem-solving and project management and a desire and ability to act as a mentor to members of the analytics staff
- Demonstrated expertise in relational database development and administration with Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, or other database systems
- Familiarity with R, Python, STATA, SPSS, SAS, or similar statistical computing software
- Open-mindedness, creativity, and a growth mindset
The Angels truly believe that diversity contributes to a more enriched collective perspective and a better decision-making process. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.