Full-Time Junior Data Engineer – (BERLIN)
Who we are:
A global, independent think tank on the integration of long-term and climate-related objectives and risks into financial market metrics, processes and regulation.
Since its set up in 2012 with the mission to align financial markets with climate goals, the 2° Investing Initiative (2°ii) has become a pioneering think tank on the integration of long-term risks and policy objectives into financial markets and regulatory frameworks. Over the past years, 2°ii has led one of the largest global research programmes on long-term risks in financial markets, working with over 50 research partners. It developed the first scenario analysis tool linking financial portfolios to international climate goal which was applied by >1,500 financial institutions by now. A core principle of its mission is to reduce transaction costs across companies, financial institutions and policymakers, while guiding financial markets towards the long-term future.
Current research includes market outlook reports, physical risk incorporation and enhancement of existing, analytical methods. 2°ii combines business intelligence databases from several climate-relevant sectors with financial datasets and climate scenarios as well as with other relevant third-party datasets to assess climate risks such as physical risk maps, etc. This database is used to assess the exposure of stocks, bonds and other financial instruments to energy-related technologies, as well as to build a sustainability-ready, open-source robo-adviser.
2°ii has a multi-stakeholder and independent governance framework designed to ensure the intellectual integrity of its work and its independence. More information can be found at www.2degrees-investing.org
What we are looking for:
- A Data Engineer, BI or database developer who is passionate about having a meaningful, global impact
- Experience in data integration, cleaning, validation and analysis
- Strong SQL skills, proficiency with R, and familiarity with Git
- DevOps, System or Database Administration experience
- A pro-active problem-solver with strong analytical skills and a good sense for code quality
- Genuine interest in improving our data infrastructure and related services
- Fluent English
- In addition, experience with finance is a big plus
- Further technical expertise, such as web development or data visualisation, is very welcome as well
- Somebody who has the courage to apply, even if they don’t tick all the boxes above!
What you will be doing:
- Support implementing systems to make our data analysis reliable, transparent and reproducible
- Maintain, extend and improve our existing data infrastructure and related services
- Support colleagues with data queries, SQL trainings for continuous improvement of skills
- Evaluate and develop technical solutions for new projects and use cases
What we offer:
- A meaningful impact on one of the planet’s most pressing issues
- Engaging working environment in a young, international and rapidly expanding team and the chance to work at a cutting-edge think tank
- Flexible working hours
- Chance to take on responsibility and shape a project from your first day onwards
- Opportunity for significant career development
- A competitive salary