Full-Time Junior Data Scientist @ London, England, United Kingdom
International Tennis Federation (ITF) is the world governing body of tennis. Founded in 1913, its purpose is to ensure the long-term growth and sustainability of the sport, delivering tennis for future generations in association with its 210 member nations. The ITF oversees the rules and regulations that govern international and national competition.
The ITF is responsible for the worldwide development of tennis through its highly-regarded Development Programme, its Science and Technical department which monitors equipment and technology, and its Officiating department which oversees the education and advancement of officials. The ITF organises over 1,500 weeks of men’s, women’s and junior tournaments on the ITF World Tennis Tour, and also manages the ITF junior team competitions, ITF Beach Tennis Tour, UNIQLO Wheelchair Tennis Tour and the ITF Seniors Circuit. The ITF is the owner and rightsholder of the two largest annual international team competitions in tennis, Davis Cup by Rakuten and Billie Jean King Cup by BNP Paribas, and manages the Olympic Tennis Event on behalf of the IOC. The ITF upholds the highest standards of integrity and manages the Tennis Anti-Doping Programme on behalf of the sport and is a partner in the Tennis Integrity Unit.
Overview of the Project:
The World Tennis Number (WTN) is one of the ITF’s key strategic initiatives which aims to provide tennis players around the world with an accurate measurement of their level of play. This will empower players to find more enjoyable, competitive and challenging tennis experiences. It also aims to play an important part in the ongoing development and success of World Tennis.
We are looking for a proactive and dedicated individual to contribute to the delivery and ongoing development of the World Tennis Number by applying data science and statistical techniques to find insights and solutions that will ensure our product is the best in class.
• Model development, building and validation
• Conduct data analysis and develop insights based on rich tennis-related data sets
• Innovation through research of different techniques and methodologies
• Coding of analyses and algorithms and code base maintenance
• Data manipulation and data cleaning to ensure high standard data sets for analysis
• Exploratory data analysis and feature engineering
• Identify relevant and meaningful performance metrics and appropriate testing schemes
• Monitor integrity of models and algorithms deployed in production
HR: Junior Data Scientist – Role Description – November 2020
• Produce reports and visualisations to communicate effectively to stakeholders and team members
• Work closely with fellow members of the WTN Team and external partners.
You will have:
Science, technology, engineering or mathematics degree
Knowledge of at least one of the following programming languages: R, Python, MATLAB
Experience in applied statistics and machine learning techniques
Good SQL working knowledge
Experience in collection and cleaning of data
Knowledge of visualisation tools (e.g. Tableau, Shiny, Power BI)
Competency in Excel
Strong communications skills, and the ability to assimilate and impart information efficiently and accurately
Evidence of being able to prioritise and manage multiple tasks simultaneously
A good sense of humour and be a team player
An interest in tennis
What we offer:
• Salary plus excellent benefits
• Lunch is provided by the ITF (up to £8 per day) via a delivery service
• 20 days holiday per annum plus bank holidays
• Private Healthcare
• Group personal pension scheme / Life assurance (subject to conditions)
• Ride2Work (in conjunction with Evans Cycles)
• Free parking on-site
• Working hours: based on 35 hours per week with core hours of 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. and flexible start and end times