Full-Time Associate Data Manager
Virtual Pediatric Systems, LLC
Associate Data Manager
Virtual Pediatric Systems, LLC (“VPS”), established in 1994 and has become a leading healthcare technology firm, is seeking a full-time Associate Data Manager. This individual will be responsible for performing all aspects of data quality control and data reporting services to ensure VPS’s automated reporting products maintain the highest standard of integrity and provide superior value to the clients, the VPS Community. The Associate Data Manager will also be responsible for extracting data for scientific publications requested by the vast VPS network of clinical researchers.
In collaboration with clinicians and other members of the VPS Team, the Associate Data Manager will continually improve and document the data validation process to reduce errant data in the VPS database. They will work with users of VPS’s data to support optimal use and accurate interpretation of VPS’s data products. The Associate Data Manager will maintain a process of VPS report preparation and suggest enhancements into reporting services that could allow greater utility of VPS data, such as quality improvement data-based products.
The Associate Data Manager is expected to have a working knowledge in project management, data management and interpretation to develop data solutions for clinicians, operational leaders, and medical researchers, to study, benchmark, and improve standards of pediatric clinical care. Through effective leadership and mentorship, they will help VPS embrace data-usage standards currently used in the healthcare industry. This individual will also be responsible for ensuring that all projects are executed in a timely fashion and within budget. It is expected that the Associate Data Manager, in collaboration with clinicians, other members of the VPS Team, or independently, will suggest possible areas of data collection improvement and reporting automation, to be developed by VPS’s Analytics and Engineering teams. Furthermore, the Associate Data Manager will provide data analysis for quality improvement collaboratives amongst VPS clients. This professional will report directly to VPS’s Director of Analytics while interacting with the entire VPS Team.
VPS is a web-based pediatric critical care network that develops, validates, and reports on quality metrics for more than 135 pediatric intensive care units (PICUs) across North America. The database uses standardized clinical data definitions, data quality control, and data analysis. VPS is the largest data warehouse for critically ill children (over 1.6 million pediatric ICU cases) in the world. The database has been used to publish over 125 scientific papers in high-impact peer reviewed journals. The database is endorsed by US News and World Report, American Academy of Pediatrics, Society of Critical Care Medicine, and the State of California as a quality improvement tool. More details about VPS and its database can be found at http://www.myvps.org.
• Maintain VPS automated reporting products for comparative analytics under the supervision of the Director of Analytics.
• Works with the VPS’s Analytics Team to build proofs of concept for potential innovative data driven technologies, as well as analytic solutions for VPS automated reporting tools.
• Writes and maintains appropriate documentation.
• Fulfills data-requirements for quality improvement collaborations with VPS member hospitals.
• Keeps informed on relevant clinical and quality improvement literature relevant to VPS projects.
• Suggests, documents, and performs quality control processes to monitor data integrity, including verification of data completeness, logic programming to ensure data accuracy, and validation strategies to prevent data entry errors.
• In collaboration with VPS’s Engineering Team, creates and updates standard validation workflows of all data prior to inclusion in the VPS database. Implements and performs specific data validations, when necessary.
• In collaboration with the VPS Team, provides data requirements in the form of data-pulls and/or special PDF reports per specific client requirements. These vary in nature, scope, and difficulty. It is expected that the Assistant Data Manager should look for ways to suggest automated solutions to fulfill ~90% of these requirements.
• Supports data requests from researchers to be used for submissions to scientific publications in pediatric critical care literature. These requirements demand strict scientific standards to define the cohorts needed for the studies.
• Maintains HIPAA certifications and adheres to HIPAA Safe Harbor rules to protect personal health information (PHI) at all times.
• Must maintain the highest level of quality with every deliverable provided to VPS clients.
• Ensures that program report production is completed within established timelines.
• Collaborates with fellow VPS team members to satisfy internal data requests needed to improve VPS products and tools.
• Collaborates with VPS’s Engineering Team in the development of databases to support VPS’s services utilizing accepted standards of data management to ensure uniformity of structure, scalability of the database to meet future growth needs, and usefulness of all collected data.
• Keeps current about the standard data models used in the industry and in collaboration with VPS’s Analytics and Engineering Teams, suggests ways to incorporate that knowledge into VPS’s current data model.
• Performs basic statistical analyses for projects and reports. Develops automated methods of data acquisition for internal/external data sources to ensure optimal efficiency and data integrity.
• Keeps historical records of changes made to a database so that the parameters of data in the database are clearly defined over time.
• The Associate Data Manager should develop expertise with the VPS database to eventually act as a liaison between the technical and clinical experts within VPS. Must ensure the capabilities of the various systems which support quality control for the VPS database meet customer expectations and adhere to national quality control standards.
• Provides direction to application developers regarding quality control and structural requirements to support optimal data integrity and reporting capabilities.
• Participates in activities which support the development of new business opportunities, including the development of position statements on key issues related to benchmarking and quality control standards, the identification and cultivation of new venues for use of services provided by the program, and to provide consultation related to comparative reporting and development of benchmark standards.
• Prepares presentations in areas of expertise and presents to various audiences as required.
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
• Requires a bachelor’s degree in Information Management, Management Information Systems, Health Care Informatics, or relevant quantitative field. Graduate school experience preferred but will accept candidate with necessary experience and a demonstrated track record of pursuing relevant ongoing education.
• One-to-three years of relevant progressive experience, preferably in a health-related field.
• Demonstrated proficiency with data management systems, including development, maintenance, and analysis. Able to customize systems to meet the needs of end users.
• Proficiency in MS Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint.
• Programming experience in MS SQL, PostgreSQL, or comparable programming SQL dialects.
• Experience using R, SAS, or other statistical packages.
• Demonstrated ability to work successfully in a professional environment with the ability to manage multiple competing projects within established deadlines required.
• Demonstrated effective and professional oral and written communication in English. Ability to develop accurate, professional reports, and presentations required.
• Knowledge of medical terminology, the composition of the electronic medical record highly desirable.
• Ability to retrieve data from complex record systems required.
• Excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to work collaboratively with both internal and external customers to achieve common goals.
• Familiarity with visualization software, such as Tableau, is a plus but not required.
• Knowledge of Atlassian project management tools or willingness to learn the whole suite in a relatively short time.
• Experience with code versioning tools, or willingness to learn in a relatively short time.
WHAT VPS OFFERS:
• Work with a talented team of professionals who are always learning, improving their skills, and collaborating with each other.
• Full benefits including dental, vision, a matching 401K program and cell phone reimbursement.
• Work with thought-provoking customers (clinicians/hospitals) who care deeply about improving care and health outcomes for children.
• Play a role in improving and saving the lives of critically ill children throughout North America.
WHAT A DAY IN THE LIFE OF AN ASSOCIATE DATA MANAGER AT VPS MAY LOOK LIKE:
• Meet with clinicians to understand the requirements of a specific clinical metric to be added to VPS automated reporting tools.
• Build SQL queries to pull data satisfying a complex design for a research project.
• Write code in R to answer a particular question posted by a physician leader from a major pediatric ICU in the VPS network.
• Interact with members of VPS’s Engineering Team to clarify data architectures.
• Work with VPS’s Analytics Team on an internal research project.
This position will preferably be located in Los Angeles, CA but will consider remote work for outstanding candidates residing outside Los Angeles. Please contact Brian Reisner at [email protected] for any questions or to apply for this position.