Full-Time Data Scientist (@Nottingham)
We’re proud to say that we’re up there amongst the UKs top 10 credit card providers. Since our inception we’ve been a company built on bold, new ideas and an entrepreneurial spirit. In an ever changing financial landscape we’re always striving for the breakthroughs that will change banking for good.
Twenty-five years after Capital One was started it’s still led by its founder. Be ready to join a community of the smartest people you’ve ever met, who put the customer first, and want to use their data skills to make a difference.
We’ve been voted the best large workplace in the UK by Great Places to Work for the past 3 years’ running due to our engaging culture, exceptional office facilities and trusted leadership.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
As a Data Scientist at Capital One UK, you will be a key member of a cross-functional team that is changing the way we do business. You will use the latest distributed computing technologies and operate across many billions of customer transactions. The models and data products that you build will unlock big opportunities for the business and help UK consumers save money and reduce friction in their financial lives.
On any given day you will be…
- Getting to the heart of business problems, writing code, finding data, designing tests, building statistical models, building data products and leading the development of our understanding of complex customer behaviour.
- Collaborating with others in an agile and fast-paced organisation.
- Developing your skills in a wide range of analytic approaches, tools and data sources.
- Scanning the horizon for new tools/techniques and identifying those with the potential to unlock new value.
- Communicating compellingly with peerless data visualisation and a clear understanding of your audience’s needs.
- Developing a deep understanding of the business.
- Raising awareness of the power and potential of data science.
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualities…
- Communicator. You can communicate complex ideas clearly with a focus on the “why?”. Maybe you’re an introvert, or maybe you’re an extrovert, but everyone trusts you to keep them well-informed.
- Do-er. You have a bias toward action, you try things, and sometimes you fail. Expect to tell us what you’ve shipped and what’s flopped.
- Fearless. Big, undefined problems and petabytes of data don’t frighten you. You can take a problem, apply a range of statistical approaches and unlock the value from data to change what we do.
- Curious. You ask why, you are not afraid to explore crazy ideas. You will have an insatiable interest in data, how to get it and what to do with it once you have. You probably have a higher degree in a numerical discipline.
- Data wrangler. You know how to move data around, through a transformation (or two), into a model and finally to business results. You probably know R, Python, SQL, Java or C# (but we encourage people to find and use the appropriate tool for the job).
We’d expect you to have:
- Minimum of a Bachelors degree in Statistics, Mathematics, Data Science, Computer Science or Engineering but Masters and PhD candidates are preferred
- Strong technical knowledge using statistical software or other programming languages appropriate for large scale data analysis preferably with supporting work experience
- Experience with data mining, machine learning, statistical modelling tools and underlying algorithms
WHAT’S ON OFFER:
- An opportunity to influence our big data strategy and have exposure to senior leaders at Capital One
- Competitive base salary and annual performance related bonus
- 25 days’ holiday with the option to buy or sell a further 5
- Private medical insurance and optional dental
- Interest free season ticket loans for travel and a cycle to work scheme
- Free on-site gym and subsidised restaurant
- Non-contributory pension scheme with matching benefits
- As well as a host of other flexible benefits on offer
Capital One is committed to diversity in the workplace.