Full-Time Data Scientist / Senior Strategic Analyst (Communications & Marketing)
At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we’re not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we’re driving excellence and improving outcomes.
For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker’s Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor’s Employees’ Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We’re treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Strategy Analytics team (within Strategy & Innovation) leverages the power of data and analytics to shape strategic decisions at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. We were awarded the 2012 INFORMS Prize for “repeatedly applying the principles of advanced analytics and operations research / management science in pioneering, varied, novel, and lasting ways.” Our team cares deeply about solving meaningful problems that will measurably impact the lives of MSK’s patients and staff.
We are seeking a Data Scientist / Senior Strategic Analyst (Communications & Marketing) who will serve as a champion for data-driven decision making within Communications, particularly for programs to strengthen MSK’s relationships with physicians and partners in the tri-state area, across the US, and internationally.
Embedded Analytics Program
This position is part of our Embedded Analytics Program, wherein Strategy & Innovation analysts are embedded in operational departments and immersed in their challenges. This position has dual reporting to (1) the SVP/Chief Communications Officer for goals setting and project implementation and (2) the Analytics Manager for technical supervision and mentorship. Embedded Analytics allows for the best of both worlds: being a full member of an operational team to truly understand their needs and ensure sustainable implementation of work, while still being part of a diverse and energizing community of analytics experts. We support technical and business skill development in a variety of ways, including conferences and external workshops, internal training and journal clubs, creating analytical tools and best practices, and developing our own in-house R package.
Department of Communications & Marketing
As a leader in cancer treatment and research for more than 130 years, MSK sets an equally high standard for the effectiveness of our communications and marketing efforts. Our focus is on generating demand for MSK services and active consideration of MSK as the best place for cancer treatment, research, and education. The team encompasses public relations, social media, web content, digital tools, consumer marketing and advertising, business-to-business communications, and research insights.
- Serve as an analytical thought partner to Communications leadership, especially the Senior VP, Director of Business/Physician Relations, Director of CRM, and Director of Digital Communications
- Become deeply versed in the operational needs of Communications and own the strategic roadmap for iteratively developing analytical products in support of those needs
- Independently manage individual analytical products and projects from “question to answer” including problem framing, data collection and validation, exploratory analysis, statistical modeling, visualization, and synthesis
- Effectively communicate actionable insights and see them through to implementation
Sample projects include:
- Developing a global data model of the network of international physicians (leveraging our past success with a data model for US-based physicians) from disparate and often conflicting sources
- Analyzing the relative impact of business-to-business programs (e.g. continuing medical education, newsletters, observership programs) on referrals and patient volumes
- Leveraging patient behavioral and outcomes data to continually improve our digital engagement platform for prospective patients
- Collaborating with the customer relationship management (CRM) team to set up our analytical environment within Salesforce and develop segmentation and targeting strategies
We are looking for an analytics professional who has both deep technical skills and a passion for applying them to real-world problems in partnership with non-technical stakeholders. Our successful analysts typically have the below qualifications:
- A proven track record (4+ years of experience) of using analytics and data science to impact key business decisions.
- You’ve built reproducible analyses using R, Python, or a similar language
- You’re deeply comfortable with relational databases and SQL
- You know how to choose the right technical approach for a question (from a statistical model to a dashboard and everything in between) and know that the simplest solution is often the best
- You’re a storyteller, able to synthesize knowledge from a variety of sources and clearly communicate complex topics to non-technical audiences
- You’re curious and self-motivated, and you thrive when working autonomously. You know when to run with something and when to ask for help.
- You have a solid understanding of common statistical methods (especially regression and probability)
- You have a bachelor’s degree in a quantitative field (statistics, economics, operations research, mathematics, etc.) or equivalent training, fellowship, or work experience
Nice-to-have qualifications would include a master’s degree, prior experience in marketing and/or healthcare, familiarity with CRM applications (especially Salesforce), and proficiency in Tableau.
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.