Full-Time Economic Analyst
Here at Thumbtack, we’re building the easiest way for people to hire local professionals for projects big and small. From house painting to personal training and everything in between, we match customers to the right pros for all of life’s projects.
As an Economic Analyst on our Policy Research Team, you will work closely with our Economist to maintain high standards for our ongoing projects and develop new research products that unearth new insights from our unique network of hundreds of thousands of small businesses.
- You’re a highly organized team player with an interest in data and economics and a desire to help the business grow
- You are a data geek with a strong understanding of statistics and a desire to learn more
- You enjoy writing and thinking about public policy issues, and are excited by the opportunity to join a high-growth company and help a team achieve its potential
- You’re detail-oriented and know how to organize and present data to multiple audiences, and you like to ask interesting questions and think of creative ways to answer them
- Support Thumbtack’s economics, communications, and content teams by identifying, exploring, and writing about data that is of interest to Thumbtack’s consumer, pro, and media audiences
- Develop deep expertise in Thumbtack’s proprietary marketplace and survey data and closely monitor news that affects our users and audiences
- Create compelling, data-driven stories about Thumbtack and its users
- Help administer and maintain our annual Small Business Friendliness Survey and monthly Economic Sentiment Survey
- Develop novel research questions and deploy the tools to answer them
- Build contacts with academic researchers and policy makers to help communicate Thumbtack’s data insights
- Work with visual designers and an in-house team of editors to produce high-quality research reports and compelling static and interactive visualizations
- Highly ambitious team player
- Excited about new challenges and willing to dive deep into the weeds of business and policy issues
- Creative thinker with very strong writing and presentation skills – applications that don’t demonstrate strong writing and presentation skills are not likely to be considered
- 1-3 years experience in analytical or research role in an academic, consulting, think tank, government, or another environment that develops high-quality research skills
- Intermediate or higher competency in R
- Degree in economics, statistics, public policy, or quantitative social science
- Advanced degree in economics, statistics, public policy, or quantitative social science
- Advanced skills in R(especially Shiny)
- Advanced SQL knowledge
- Advanced Excel knowledge
- Experience writing and analyzing surveys
- Experience designing and implementing a broad range of regression techniques
More About Us
Thumbtack is the destination for getting things done—from house remodeling to event planning to music lessons and more. Each year, more than 200,000 professionals across the country service a growing 5 million Thumbtack projects in almost 1,100 unique categories. Founded in 2009 and headquartered in San Francisco, Thumbtack has raised more than $275 million from Sequoia Capital, Tiger Global Management, Javelin Investment Partners, Baillie Gifford, and Google Capital.
Thumbtack embraces diversity. We are proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and do not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, national origin, citizenship, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.