Full-Time Head of Data Science
Before the dawn of everything internet, insurance was intimate and personal. You walked down the street to chat with your broker and the risk to your business, your livelihood, was covered with a handshake. Today is different. The average insurance policy for a mom+pop store’s trades through a dozen different hands and traverses a maze of systems and processes. Few are accountable and fewer know the whole story. And if you’re a tiny limited partnership or freelancer you’ve either been reduced to a crudely estimated risk metric or excluded from the market.
Argo is looking for an innovative and dynamic Head of Data Science and Analytics to lead the function. The role requires a combination of business acumen, sophisticated analytical expertise, a strategic mindset, leadership skills, and a passion for discovering new insights and building new capabilities.
Who You Are
- You are excited to craft and deploy models that transform one of the most entrenched industries in the world.
- You want to use your statistical, scientific, and engineering training to work with data structures where off-the-shelf programs just won’t do it.
- You paint with plots and your models don’t keep secrets.
- NLP isn’t a foreign acronym and you’ve gone from strings to whiskers.
- You sail smooth in R and always have numPy, sciPy, and scikit-learn on deck.
- K-means more than a curt text and Logit and Probit are not Hobbit characters.
- Prior experience with building custom statistical models, analyzing unstructured data, and/or machine learning highly desirable.
- Polished written and oral communication skills, with ability to present and clearly explain data to non-technical executive audiences.
- Strong project management skills / experience managing projects, budgets, and schedules to successful completion.
- Prior exposure to financial services or insurance industry a strong plus.
What You’ll Own
- Work closely with key business partners to plan and execute high-value and actionable data analytics projects and initiatives.
- Facilitate communication throughout the development process between executive stakeholders, your customers (internal business unit leaders), and technical teams that are implementing/automating your work
- Coordinate and build strong working relations with various internal stakeholder groups, including IT, Engineering, and Legal
- Integrate and mine large data sets, connecting data from disparate sources to identify insights and patterns using traditional as well as predictive analytics.
- Lead and mentor junior staff members; create learning, development and engagement plans to help source and retain key talent.
- Data Architecture and Management (PostgreSQL, Hadoop, Oracle, Hive, Spark, Redshift and/or SQL Server)
- Machine Learning / AI (Decision trees, association rules, neural networks, inductive logic, clustering and classification, Bayesian networks, supervised or unsupervised learning)
- Statistical Modeling (R, numPy, Julia, Matlab, Stata, SAS)
- Degree or Certification in Computer Science, Econometrics, Statistics, Mathematics or equivalent