Full-Time Senior Data Scientist
We are looking for an experienced and hungry Data Scientist/Analyst interested in pushing the boundaries of what content we acquire and how we use our huge content portfolio across our products and services, with an ability to apply your skills, from technical, commercial to behavioural, in order to generate business value.
Your role in our content savvy team:
Buying content for more than 100 TV channels, countless market-leading digital products & services, in almost 40 countries, across 4 continents creates a lot of data and if you want to help us to use this data to grow our understanding of what content we should be buying and how to best use this content, then this may be the right opportunity for you.
You will be part of a community of passionate content buyers and administrators, while you bridge the gap between the data and the content team, and form our future path for how to solve the business challenges.
- Be the pro-active owner of the entire content data chain acting as the content team’s data expert
- Ensure that the content team can capitalize on the huge amounts of data available and bridge the technical gap needed to analyse data
- Develop an analysis strategy and perform analysis of complex scenarios, both systematically and on a one-off basis
- Identify potential business opportunities within the content area and scope/design approaches to capture those opportunities
- Carefully check, debug and problem solve issues to ensure you deliver accurate and clear analysis and reports, quickly, even when confronted by subtle data complications. Your sense of quality is unmatched and you complete work with pride
- Thrive in a dynamic environment where your abilities will influence if not set the future direction of the team
- Provide an analytics perspective to discussions and prioritisation to the content acquisitions team, so that we select the right ideas to work on
- Represent the content team in projects related to capturing and analysing content data.
Skills needed to make the content thrills:
We want to succeed, but we need to have fun doing it. Just the thought of data and the opportunities it brings makes you smile.
It’s your passion and you view it as your hobby to perform quantitative analysis and draw business insights that will create real value for the content team and MTG overall.
You are driven, inquisitive and have a strong ability to learn quickly and work in a fast paced environment. Being able to prioritize tasks efficiently and communicate with the content team in a proactive and pragmatic way to ensure business targets are met are critical for success.
You will receive the training and support from your colleagues but as the sole Data Scientist in that team, you will have to thrive with the ownership and freedom that this entails and have an entrepreneurial spirit.
While we certainly don’t expect you to have all of these skills from day one, we do expect you to learn and develop in each of the following five areas so you can become our content data go-to team member:
- Business Insight: The ability to deeply understand the commercial challenges and issues our content and business wants to solve and therefore define for yourself the right data or analysis or interpretation to lead to the right recommendations and decisions
- Analytics: Birst on a Redshift database is used as primary big data analytics platform. In order to perform deeper analysis one must also be able to use tools such as R, SPSS and Excel/VBA and using SQL queries to extract data
- Stats: Understanding the appropriate statistical or machine learning techniques to use in different circumstances
- Communication: Designing good ways of communicating your results/analysis so they are clear and unambiguous and aid the implementation of your findings across the business
How to ApplyAre you an Igniter? There is a lot of room for you at MTG to grow the responsibilities and direction of this team while being supported by the content acquisitions team. Specific experience that might be helpful, but is not required include:
- experience working in an international company with either a subscription or advertisement funded business model;
- mobile gaming; experience with “big data” systems such as Hadoop;
- robust understanding of more advanced statistical techniques suitable for analysis of highly skewed populations;
- experience in predictive analytics, segmentation, and related areas; experience with data mining;
- skills with standard reporting tools such as QlikView and with more advanced reporting tools such as Birst.
- Smart, intellectual dexterity and you find solutions not just problems
- Fun, you have fun and bring it to others leaving the ego at the door
- Bold, you believe in your vision and dare to think different
- Engaging, you are a natural team player and a pragmatic problem-solver.