Full-Time Data Engineer @ New York
At the Harmony Institute (HI), we believe that a compelling story has the power to change the world. But despite massive investment in media designed to win hearts and minds, no one fully understands how this happens. That’s where we come in. Founded in 2008, HI is an independent, interdisciplinary research center dedicated to understanding the social impact of media
Our team employs a variety of measures and methods — from brain scans of individuals experiencing a narrative to analysis of online conversations around media — to uncover fundamental principles and share actionable insights with media makers, policy makers, and the public. We combine academic rigor with a tech startup ethos: our trail-blazing research around media’s influence on individuals, groups, and social systems directly informs the data-driven tools that we build.
HI is looking for an experienced Data Engineer to join the Products team. The ideal candidate has a passion for data, all kinds of data. You know how to get it, engineer it, and ready it for consumption. You have the engineering skills to tackle an API or scrape a web resource for what you need and bring it home in a nice neat package. You’re interested in building technical infrastructure to facilitate data analysis for both product features and internal research — and maybe you’d enjoy using these tools to do some analysis of your own. You would like to apply your skills towards a data-driven social change movement.
In this role, you’ll work closely with a data analyst, software engineer, and product manager to build, upgrade and streamline the product data pipelines. You can also collaborate with data-savvy social scientists to help them study the social impact of media. Your work will provide a solid foundation for HI’s data stack:
- Design, build, and maintain scalable data pipelines for ingesting data from a variety of sources, combining it with existing data and analyzing it
- Build databases, both document-based (MongoDB) and relational (PostgreSQL)
- Help design and possibly implement APIs on top of those databases to facilitate access for researchers and our user-facing products
- Collaborate with the team to help prototype and productionize new features and products
You can look forward to significantly improving and expanding our existing data infrastructure. This is an opportunity to have a huge impact on a growing, data-driven organization.
- Strong fundamentals in computer science and/or programming (Python preferred)
- Experience building data pipelines: dependency management, scheduling, monitoring, and error reporting
- Familiarity with software development processes and best practices, including version control (git preferred), code review (pull requests), and testing
- Interest in building data-driven tools for media and social science research, and passion for using data for social good
- Bonus: Familiarity with data processing frameworks such as Apache Spark
Salary is commensurate with experience, and HI offers a generous benefits plan. We value and encourage a healthy work–life balance: happy and well-rested workers are productive workers.