Full-Time Senior Statistician @ Broughton, England
JBA Risk Management provides specialist natural perils risk services to the insurance and reinsurance sector. As a leading natural hazard modelling supplier we deliver an independent and scientifically credible perspective providing the vital link between business and science. Building on the existing expertise of JBA Consulting, we offer a wide range of products and services that utilise our full range of expertise in meteorological perils and probabilistic modelling.
Senior Statistician in the JBA Risk Management Limited.
JBA Risk Management seeks CVs from high quality statisticians with experience in extreme value analysis and the development of probabilistic models. The open position is in a small group tasked with the development of national-scale catastrophe models for insurers and reinsurers. The role will involve the development of general data analysis/processing methods, as well as methodologies required to create probabilistic models of natural hazard. Alongside the commercial aspect of this role, there will be opportunity to follow research interests in collaboration with JBA Trust* if desired.
The position will suit a strong team player who is capable of independent and innovative thinking in a challenging business environment. The individual who is offered this role will have at least three years of experience of statistical modelling. A background in reinsurance, actuarial science, academia or environmental modelling will be considered.
- Knowledge of extreme value theory with application to natural hazard
- Knowledge of spatial statistics, multivariate techniques, time-series, Monte Carlo simulation and statistical inferences
- Proficient user of R and/or MATLAB
- Ability to explain complex statistical concepts to non-statisticians
- Presentation and report writing skills
- Knowledge of catastrophe modelling methods and techniques in the reinsurance sector
- Knowledge of hydrological and/or general circulation models
- Experience with RStudio and R package development, and familiarity with source control and issue tracking systems
- Experience in C, C++ or C#.NET and relational database
- Working knowledge of Linux operating system
- Record of peer-reviewed scientific papers
* JBA Trust is a not-for-profit company, funded by the JBA Group, with the aims of supporting scientific research and training in the fields of environmental risks and resources. The Trust is working with leading academics and the JBA Group of companies to create opportunities for research-based project placements and to support students and courses in higher education. There will be opportunities to be involved with the Trust’s work in a supervisory or research capacity, depending on background and experience.
The job will be based in the UK in our Skipton (North Yorkshire) office.
Career Development and Benefits
Applications for both full and part time positions will be considered. A competitive salary is available together with a comprehensive benefits package including personal pension, life insurance, medical assistance, subsidised permanent health insurance, child care vouchers, medical/dental care assistance and profit share. The post holder will be entitled to between 20 and 23 days holiday per year (depending on experience) rising to 25 after qualifying service, plus statutory holidays.
We are looking for an enthusiastic individual who is keen to develop their skills. JBA has a well-regarded professional development programme which provides the opportunity to enhance and update technical and management skills throughout your career. Each member of staff is allocated an annual training budget, and we encourage and support the attainment of professional qualifications including chartered membership of professional associations.
No unsolicited CVs from Agencies please. All Agencies should note that if JBA receives an application via other means – even if it comes after your first contact with us, there will be no contractual entitlement to an introduction fee or other fees. In sending us any applications you are deemed to have agreed to these terms.